Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi!

I'm a little confused with the following sentence:

"If, god forbid, there are/be riots between the people of "State X" and the people of "State Y", he'll obviously favour one of them as he belongs to it."

Should I use "are" or "be"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my opinion you should use "there are".

This is a question of the mood of the verb. "There are" is the indicative mood and "there be" is the subjunctive mood. The subjunctive has become rare in BrE, but is still sometimes heard in AmE. In this case, however, I think that nowadays most fluent speakers would say "there are riots."

Having said that, I must add that it is unnatural to say "there are riots between." Although when riots occur it is often obvious that there are opposing parties, one often does not know exactly who the rioting parties are or what their agenda is.

Last edited:

Soup Chicken

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In my opinion you should use "there are".

This is a question of the mood of the verb. "There are" is the indicative mood and "there be" is the subjunctive mood. The subjunctive has become rare in BrE, but is still sometimes heard in AmE. In this case, however, I think that nowadays most fluent speakers would say "there are riots."

Having said that, I must add that it is unnatural to say "there are riots between." Although when riots occur it is often obvious that there are opposing parties, one often does not know exactly who the rioting parties are or what their agenda is.

Which word should I use then? Or are you saying that it is better to avoid naming the parties altogether?

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
probus said "you should use "there are"".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Riots" is odd to me in this context. I would say that there may be violence between groups, or conflicts, or fighting. Maybe even a skirmish.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I was talking about the usage of "between", which probus pointed out.
The Australian press often uses the phrase "riots between". I find it acceptable.
"A riot broke out between supporters of the opposing football teams." Riots between police and protestors happen all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.