• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Ebook

Hi,the sentence with some question will describe my problem to you. It is not necessary to answer the question.
    "It is true that in a subsistence economy or even in a more advanced one when the person concerned can hardly make ends meet,money,or its equivalent reward,is of paramount importance-life,in fact,depends on it."
    What is the subject of auxiliary verb "is" in this given sentence?
    The end part of given sentence contains "it". To which "it" is indicating?Sometimes "it,they,them" indicates to a topic which has mentioned before the sentence. It creates ambiguity and difficulties to identify them.
    Long,complicated sentence like this are often found in academic and legal texts.It can be confusing but I need to learn filter all the extra information and focus on the core statement until I can identify the main idea,subject and verb.
    I have completed a grammar course.When I face this types of problem,I try to solve them by applying all of my grammar knowledge,but it does not work all time.Some sentence are so complicated.
    Will you tell me the link of any web address/Eteacher/Ebook which are enriched with proper explanation/example related to this,so that I can easily improve my skill on this.
    Sorry to bother you and thanks for reading this long message.
    Nousher Ahmed

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Nousher Ahmed View Post
    Long,complicated sentence like this are often found in academic and legal texts.It can be confusing but I need to learn filter all the extra information and focus on the core statement until I can identify the main idea,subject and verb.
    I have completed a grammar course.When I face this types of problem,I try to solve them by applying all of my grammar knowledge,but it does not work all time.Some sentence are so complicated.

Nousher Ahmed
    Hello, Nousher Ahmed.

I'd like to suggest that you divide a long sentence (, such as yours) into several chunks using a slash/an oblique. For example:

It is true / that in a subsistence economy / or even in a more advanced one / when the person concerned can hardly make ends meet / , money, or its equivalent reward, / is of paramount importance / - life, in fact, depends on it.

If you can do this correctly, then it will indicate that you understand both the meaning and the structure of the sentence.
    If you can't, you will need more reading practice.

I'm afraid I know little of those websites you mentioned, but we are here to help you (, though voluntarily).
    You can always ask your questions here. I will be happy to help you whenever I can.
    Good luck!

(Edit)
    Welcome to the forums, Nousher.
    Last edited by tzfujimino; 15-Mar-2014 at 17:12.