• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question How to learn english well

Hello,I am a English major student from china,a freshman of CUMT(CHINA UNIVERSITY OF MINING&TECHNOLOGY)
    Althourgh English is my major,I don't like it any more.I daren't speak English in front of public.I hope teacher who is English native speaker could supply some suggestions for me.Such as how to speak English well,how to write a beautiful essay,how to learn grammer and so on.
    I want to know how the English native speaker study english.Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Welcome to our forums.
    It will not be useful to you to know how native speakers learn. There are so many things we do by instinct, because we know it sounds right, because we know if feels right -- there are so many things we don't make decisions about, but just write or speak -- that it would be impossible to explain.

If I said to you "Tell me how to learn Mandarin quickly. I want to speak perfect Mandarin, write it perfectly, understand the grammar and so on" would you think it was possible? People can certainly learn a second, third, fourth language (or more) but it won't happen quickly.

Remember to capitalize the word English every time, and proper nouns, like China.
    Leave a space after your punctuation marks.

The best thing you can do it read as much as you can, listen to English radio, watch English television, etc. Pay attention to the way people speak and write.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Remember that most native English speakers do not study and never have studied English. We learn our own language from our parents and our surroundings. Most people I know have never studied English. They have no knowledge of grammatical terms and have no need for them.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Why English native speakers do not learn English? You know so many words and phrases.Are they all teached by your parents and surroundings? In china ,wo have a course called chinese,every china student should study it.All though we could speak Mandarin very well, we also should learn chinese this course.We learn English just as a tool to communicate with you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Could you tell me what reads well in (American) English.Wher I could find them.I am interested in NBA,so could you tell me some NBA news,such as the artical of ESPN.You could give me some websites. OH ,Why we could ask you 2nd conditionals.what means of it.Please forgive my ignorance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    First of all, you need to pay a little bit more attention to your writing. There're several typos.
    Secondly, I think you mix "can, can't, could, couldn't" up (according to your post above).
    We will not tell you any NBA news. You can find them in the internet.
    I'd suggest that you'd read news bbc.com, cnn.com, news.com.au. Moreover you can find books in English (I think there're book stores in your locality).
    I'm Russian and I've never learnt Russian (Sure, we got Russian in school as a subject) and I speak Russian fluently (kind of strange, right? ).
    If you want to improve your English, it doesn't mean you need to improve only your reading. You must speak, understand as well.
    You need to find English courses in your locality. I bet they will be helpful.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by sujayfive View Post
    Hello,I am a English major student from china,a freshman of CUMT(CHINA UNIVERSITY OF MINING&TECHNOLOGY)
    Althourgh English is my major,I don't like it any more.I daren't speak English in front of public.I hope teacher who is English native speaker could supply some suggestions for me.Such as how to speak English well,how to write a beautiful essay,how to learn grammer and so on.
    I want to know how the English native speaker study english.Thank you very much.
    The same idea for me .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

I guess you should firstly improve your basic grammar. The following sites have English examples and Chinese explanations.
    http://www.npc.edu.hk/staff/~ngtungy...glish_grammar/
    http://englishwizard.mysinablog.com/...egoryId=192196

Shamefully I cannot speak Mandarin although I am Chinese, yet I can write it well.

Not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Having worked in China and had to correct some of the ideas my students had picked up from Chinese websites and grammars, I would recommend caution when using such sites.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 16-Mar-2014 at 14:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

How to exercise caution? Should I post a question here each time after I have learned something there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast