[Vocabulary] Haze, fog,smog ,mist which one is the formal english to describe the polluted air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yibiandaizhe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK
Haze, fog,smog ,mist which one is the formal english to describe the polluted air?

Thanks for the helps, im facing problem to discribe on polluted air quality of the weather.

i used the word mist on oral english and talk to native speakers, but they dont understand what i mean.

so i got really confused on these words with similarity, which one is used for oral speaking, and which one should be used formally or acdamically?

Many thanks

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.

Mist
and fog are naturally occurring. Fog is more dense than mist. I'm sure there are scientific differences too, but I do not know what they are.

Haze can be from a natural phenomenon (like mist) or from pollution.

Smog is the result of pollution and probably the word you want.

Please remember that the pronoun "I" is always capitalized and that you should put a space AFTER your punctuation mark, not before it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Haze is in use in BrE for the polluted air of the current conditions. I am honestly not sure whether this is a fashion or whether there is a clear difference between this and smog.

Your words are neutral to me and could be used formally or informally.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think we'd use haze of the thick smogs I remember from my youth. You can see things at some distance, albeit not very clearly, through a haze. In a smog you could sometimes hardly see the person you had just walked into.

yibiandaizhe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for your corrections, and your definitions of smog seemed pretty clear to me . also I want to add that smog = smoke+fog , am I right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since you are French, I will tell you about words like "smog". A word that is formed by combining parts of two words is a called a portmanteau word in English. Other common ones are "brunch" (breakfast + lunch) and "motel" (motor + hotel).

Status
Not open for further replies.