From monday to friday OR From monday through friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear teachers and members:

I have always had a confusion regarding the following phrases.

I°) I work from monday to friday.

II°) I work from monday through friday.

a) I know the first phrase is the one used the most and I also think it may mean one of the followings:

1) I work from monday to friday, except on thursday.

2) I work from monday to friday (I don't work on tuesday, wednesday or thursday).

b) In the second phrase I think the followings:

1) I work from monday through friday (When using THROUGH, I cannot omit any day from monday to friday).

2) I work from monday through friday (I work on monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday and friday).

QUESTION:

Which one is more formal?

Please, help me in this issue, I would like to have my doubt cleared up. Not only is this a confusion to me, but to others as well.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Monday to Friday" would include all of the days inbetween (i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). In most cases (e.g. "I work Monday to Friday") it is understood to include Friday as well.

"Monday through Friday" is explicit in including Friday.

If someone says "pick a number from 1 to 10" this would normally include "10." Saying "through" just makes it explicit.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please note that the days of the week are capitalized.

If you work Monday to Friday, you work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. You work all five of those days.

If you work Monday AND Friday, you do not work Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

"Monday to Friday" is the common way to say it. It's not more or less formal than "Monday through Friday" and has the same meaning.

When you say "Monday through Friday," I expect to hear something about Saturday and/or Sunday.

Mondays through Fridays, we are open 9 am to 7 pm. Saturdays and Sundays, we are open 10 am to 5 pm.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In BrE, we use only '(from) Monday to Friday' for this five-day period. In all varieties of English we use an initial capital letter for days of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you to all of you for your help and cooperation.

In more than a decade studying English on my own, it's the first time I learn weekdays must be capitalized in all varieties of English; does it happen the same with months?

NOTE: I forgot to ask you the next question in regards to the above sentences.

It seems to me that those phrases are prepositional phrases, aren't they?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In more than a decade studying English on my own, it's the first time I learn weekdays must be capitalized in all varieties of English; does it happen the same with months? Yes, do you not read? To me that's like learning Spanish for 10 years and not noticing that you put question marks in front of a question as well as at the end. I'd suggest opening any book in English (preferably a novel or a non-fiction book unrelated to grammar, flick through it and notice which words are capitalised. (Or search a computerised book for capitals). I'll note here that it would take about half an hour for anyone to do this with punctuation as well.
It seems to me that those phrases are prepositional phrases, aren't they?
Yes, they are prepositional phrases.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thanks Raymontt for replying:

In my one than a decade English self-study, I have read a lot in English but I have never observed this, even though I love grammar and writing either in English as in Spanish. Actually I'm studying phonetics as well as phonology on my own, and I still reconize that I need to learn lots of grammar and writing issues; I constantly work on that, especially by analyzing the issue and by asking questions about.

I would appreciate you to recommend me a book about knowing to use puntuation marks and when to capitalize words; it will help me significantly in my writing.

NOTE: In Spanish a comma (.) is not put neither at the beginning nor at the end of a question; an interrogation mark (?) is put instead.

I'm a native Spanish speaker from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Regards.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would appreciate you to recommend me a book about knowing to use puntuations; it will help me significantly in my writing.
In Spanish a comma (.) is not put neither at the beginning nor at the end of a question; an interrogation mark (?) is put instead.
Oops, that was a mistake. I don't now how I made it. I've fixed it. :oops:
Thanks, apprentice, for pointing our my 'thinko' (which I'll call it).
Actually, your punctuation isn't bad. I was speaking generally in that sentence. My point was that you don't need a special book telling you how to punctutate (or capitalise). You just need to open a novel, and read it - while taking notice of interesting aspects of the language. Esta es una de las maneras que estudio Español. I'm sure there are plenty of punctuation sites on the web, but I wasn't suggesting that you needed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.