• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

will

Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them industrial by-products,
    threaten to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly over the next fifty years than carbon dioxide will.

I can understand will in the meaning_______the carbon dioxide will threaten to warm the Earth’s atmosphere.
    But the integral original sentence really gives me a strange feeling, even I felt it's wrong and the original sentence
    should be corrected as the following:
    Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them industrial by-products, will threaten to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly over the next fifty years than carbon dioxide.
    Is my opinion right? Sincere thanks!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: will

I am not a teacher.

I don't think you're right.

The tiny quantities of rare gases are threatening to warm the atmosphere. The threat exists now, the warming may come later. It is wrong to say "will threaten".

Carbon dioxide is already warming the Earth's atmosphere. It is assumed that it will continue to do so. The rate of warming due to carbon dioxide over the next fifty years may be exceeded by that due to the tiny quantities of rare gases.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

If you don't like will, you could simply remove it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    If you don't like will, you could simply remove it.
    Don't like? Hehe Yesterday night I thought so_______
    At first I felt Roman55's words were very very reasonable, later I felt in fact we were unnecessary to assume
    that the carbon dioxide will continue to threaten to warm the Earth's atmosphere,
    beacause to us it's a common knowledge that the carbon dioxide threatens to warm the Earth's atmosphere.

Will makes the original sentence very good but if will is removed,
    from an objective point of view the sentence is also not wrong IMO.

ps: Yesterday night my computer had a breakdown so it made me feel more tired.
    But solving the problem makes me feel happy! So learning is a paradox.
    I am very moved by Roman and Tdol's unselfish help!!!
    Last edited by dodonaomik; 21-Mar-2014 at 13:15.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

<<<it's a common knowledge that the carbon dioxide threatens to warm the Earth's atmosphere.>>>

As Mark Twain once said, “What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.”

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by dodonaomik View Post
    Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them industrial by-products, threaten to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly over the next fifty years than carbon dioxide will.

I can understand will in the meaning_______the carbon dioxide will threaten to warm the Earth’s atmosphere.
    I believe you have added too much to what what the "will" is supposed to say.

Here's a different example.
    Two men say they love me.
    Roger promised to love me more than Frank will.

Here, the "will" is not "more than Frank will promise to love me" but "more than Frank will love me."

Or this silly example:
    I have to recommend one of two people for a job that neither of them want.
    Greg says that if I recommend him, he will put salt instead of sugar in my coffee for a year.
    Rachel says that if I recommend her, she will leave pictures of spiders (which terrify me) on my desk for two years.
    Rachel threatens to make me regret it more than Greg will. -- More than Greg will make me regret it, not "more than Greg will threaten to make me regret it."
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 21-Mar-2014 at 23:37. Reason: minor typo
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Rachel threatens to make me regret it more than Greg will. -- More than Greg will make me regret it, not "more than Greg will threaten to make me regret it."
    Interesting - when I first read your sentence (and before I read your explanation), I took it to mean "Rachel threatens to make me regret it more than Greg will regret it".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Don't like? Hehe Yesterday night I thought so_______
    At first I felt Roman55's words were very very reasonable, later I felt in fact we were unnecessary to assume
    that... ...
    I want to correct my error, please see the following!

Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them industrial by-products,
    threaten to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly over the next fifty years than carbon dioxide will.
    Last night, I felt over the next fifty years and will wanted to tell us that we must assume that
    1)For rare gases, the future speed of warming is approximate to or equal to the present speed.(now)
    (For rare gases, there exist no assumption.)
    2)For carbon dioxide, the future speed of warming is approximate to or equal to the past speed.(already)

Now I think I have understood Roman55's words.
    Last edited by dodonaomik; 23-Mar-2014 at 06:14.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No.
    The sentence says that carbon dioxide will cause SOME warming to the atmosphere..
    Over the next 50 years, these 30 rare gases will warm the atmosphere more than that. (At least, they threaten to. I assume the rest of the article says how to keep this from happening.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I believe you have added too much to what what the "will" is supposed to say.

Here's a different example.
    Two men say they love me.
    Roger promised to love me more than Frank will.

Here, the "will" is not "more than Frank will promise to love me" but "more than Frank will love me."
    Can I understand that promise cannot be compared or it is unnecessary to be compared(If Frank promised to me like Roger)?

Or this silly example:
    It's obviously not a silly example but a good example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast