Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Someone I know always recommends me that I use an application he uses.
I don't want to use it and I have explained it many times to him, but he keeps recommending it to me.
I want to say "You are persistent" but he is much older than me and he is my friend's husband, so I don't wan to ruin the relationship.

How can I politely tell him "you are persistent"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This reminds me of George Bernard Shaw's irregular verbs.

I am firm.
You are persistent.
He is a pig-headed fool.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would tell him you have looked into it and you have concluded that the application will not:

help you
work for you
solve your problem

etc.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It would probably be better if you could think of a way of telling him in Japanese. Telling him in English is much less likely to be effective in my opinion, given the large cultural divide between the two societies.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm really happy this works well for you, and I appreciate that you want to share it with me, but it's just not right for me.

If you weren't so worried about being polite, you'd say "Man, you're like a dog with a bone with this thing, aren't you!"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
On the assumption that your friend's husband is an English speaker (otherwise I can't understand why you don't just tell him this in Japanese), there are several ways you could come at this.

You say you don't want to use the app. Why not? Have you tried it and it didn't work? Have you tried it, it worked but you use another app which does the same thing better? Do you just not like the look of it? Has someone else recommended that you don't use it?

Why is he recommending it? Does he simply use it and think it works really well? Does he have a vested interest in it (ie did he make it or did a friend of his make it?) Has he recommended other apps or software to you and they have not been any use? How does he keep recommending it - in conversation, by email, by instant message? How does the subject keep coming up in conversation?

Your response each time he recommends it could be:

Thanks. I'll check that one out.
Thanks, I think you've told me about that one before.
Thanks, but I've tried it and it just doesn't do what I need it to.
Thanks, but I've already got a perfectly good app for that.
Thanks. You told me about that before. I tried it and didn't like it. Why do you keep recommending it?

Once you've had enough of being polite, try "Seriously, mate! Shut up about that app. I'm not going to use it. End of conversation!"

Status
Not open for further replies.