• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Can I get these right?

Hi All,

These things are confusing as I'm teaching non-native speakers of English, I'm a Non-Native as well though my mother tongue is English, I have loads of the local influence which I would have to admit too.

He forgot my birthday always.
    He forgot always my birthday. - This is wrong to me (Not Natural)
    He always forgot my birthday.
    Always he forgot my birthday. - This is wrong to me (Not Natural)

Daniel

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Can I get these right?

How can one be a non-native English speaker if one's mother tongue is English?

From your list, I would only use #3.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    How can one be a non-native English speaker if one's mother tongue is English?
    Thanks for the reply Mike.

Answering your question, I'm an Anglo-Indian by community but an Indian by Nationality, my mother tongue is English but I'm not considered a Native speaker of English because my Nativity or my place of birth is not in an English speaking country.

My great grand father was from the U.K served the army in South India before Indian Independence.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 22-Mar-2014 at 14:29.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Sorry for the question. I thought English was an official language (not the only one) of India. In my opinion, if one is raised in the English language. one can be considered a native speaker. I may be wrong. There are many people in the USA who were raised in the Spanish language or a version of Chinese. I never thought that the country of birth determined the term "native speaker".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

The official position of English in India seems to be that it is an official subsidiary language: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languag...tatus_in_India.

Whatever the language's status, if danyboy was brought up from birth to speak English as his first or only language, then he is justified in calling himself a native speaker of English.

It may be that he speaks a form of Indian English, but that is as legitimate a variety of English as any other. Within this forum, most of us who respond happen to be speakers of a major dialect of British, Irish, North American, Australian or New Zealand English, and we sometimes need to point out that some words and points of grammar and idiom of Indian English are not natural in our dialects. It is probably true that learners in most parts of the world would sooner learn one of the varieties I mentioned than Indian English, mainly because these varieties are generally (if perhaps prejudicedly) considered closer to some artificial 'standard'. However, it is perfectly possible for danyboy to be a native speaker of English, regardless of his nationality and place of residence.