Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

If you see someone spit or pee everywhere on the street, would native speakers of English describe them more as "ill-educated" or "ill-mannered"?

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd think they were either very drunk or mentally disturbed. Neither of the words you used would spring to mind.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd think they were either very drunk or mentally disturbed. Neither of the words you used would spring to mind.
Okay. Forgive me for not wording my question clearly enough.
Say someone tries to clean his throat so he just spits wherever he wants on the street. Would you describe it "ill-educated" or "ill-mannered"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think you can equate it to a poor education (although I'm sure some people will say that the kind of person who spits in the street is probably also not someone who went to university!).

It is certainly "bad manners" to spit on the street but I wouldn't use "ill-mannered".

I would call them "vile" or "scum".

However, bear in mind that in some countries, spitting in the street is completely normal and is done by almost everyone, regardless of class.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher nor a native speaker.
I'd definetely say "disgusting", I'm just interesting whether my choice is good.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that "it" (the habit) is disgusting. I would not necessarily describe the person doing it as disgusting.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I heard something like that in BBC Radio. A woman describes one kid like "you're disgusting something".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"You're disgusting something" doesn't make any sense, I'm afraid. I could understand her saying "You disgust me" or something similar. By the way, you heard it on the radio.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I even don't remeber when I heard that, probably I mixed something up.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Back to the original question, I would not expect to see anyone "spit or pee everywhere on the street".

Here in the UK, spitting in the street is seen and the culprits are usually young men but I've seen it from older men too, as well as some young women. Peeing in the street is more prevalent in city centres on a Friday and Saturday night, mainly due to the closure of the majority of public toilets in town centres.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Back to the original question, I would not expect to see anyone "spit or pee everywhere on the street".

Here in the UK, spitting in the street is seen and the culprits are usually young men but I've seen it from older men too, as well as some young women. Peeing in the street is more prevalent in city centres on a Friday and Saturday night, mainly due to the closure of the majority of public toilets in town centres.

So when I see people spit on the street (for whatever reason they have, could be cleaning their throats) whenever they want, can I yell out "What a bad manner!" in response to that action?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I do not recommend remonstrating with anybody for their unsocial behaviour in the street — at least in the UK. It could lead to a foul riposte or even a physical attack on you.

'What a bad manner!' is ungrammatical anyway.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want to behave like a classic British member of the public, when you see someone spitting in the street you would tut, roll your eyes and perhaps say very quietly under your breath "That's disgusting". I agree entirely with Rover that shouting a comment at someone for something like this is, unfortunately, quite likely to result in an unpleasant outcome for you.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I do not recommend remonstrating with anybody for their unsocial behaviour in the street — at least in the UK. It could lead to a foul riposte or even a physical attack on you.

'What a bad manner!' is ungrammatical anyway.

Thank you I will heed your words. But I don't understand why "What a bad day" is grammatical while "What a bad manner" is ungrammatical.
Could "Where are your manners?" possibly fit in this situation?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you I will heed your words. But I don't understand why "What a bad day" is grammatical while "What a bad manner" is ungrammatical.

We generally use "manners" in the plural when talking about behaviour so "What bad manners" could work. "Where are your manners?" is an OK sentence but, to be honest, spitting in the street doesn't come under the heading "manners" for me. It's a bad/disgusting habit.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You still seem to be trying to come up with something appropriate to say in this situation. Rover and ems have told you that it is not a good idea to say anything.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We generally use "manners" in the plural when talking about behaviour so "What bad manners" could work. "Where are your manners?" is an OK sentence but, to be honest, spitting in the street doesn't come under the heading "manners" for me. It's a bad/disgusting habit.
I see! Thank you for your clarification. So what about parking a car but occupying two parking spots? Sometimes, some people do it and I totally hate it!. Does that come under the heading "manners" for you?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's thoughtless/inconsiderate. I wouldn't think of it as 'bad manners'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, "bad manners" constitutes things like not saying please and thank you, not holding a door open for someone coming through behind you, pushing your way into a queue, and such like.

Status
Not open for further replies.