[General] Is the use of 'as to' correct here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,everyone.

I looked up the phrase and it is explained as regarding,about or according to. In every case it seems the phrase takes as its objects nouns,noun phrases ,or sentences.

Can a verb phrase be used with it?

...administrative arrangements have developed in such a way as to take account of the particular needs of different areas.

Many thanks

Richard

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your example "to take account of the particular needs of different areas" is not a verb phrase. It is an infinitive phrase.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your sentence fragment with 'as to' is fine, cubezero.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi Mike. Does this mean my question arose from a wrong analyse of the sentence?

Perhaps it should be read as ... such a way as + to take into account of ...,as in ... have such a book as The History of English Speaking Peoples and the infinitive phrase here is one item that is listed after the such as structure.

In other words the part of sentence originally quoted is correct?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, the original is correct. An infinitive phrase often functions as a noun

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you Mike.
May I further ask one question. I thought such as are used when there is more than one to list,as in He likes such fruits as apples,bananas and oranges.
Can it be used when there is one thing here?
Would it be strange to say I like such a book as The History of English Speaking Peoples

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It would be "fruits, such as apples, bananas, and oranges".

Your second would be strange. I like the book "The History of English Speaking Peoples".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I like such books as "The History of English Speaking Peoples."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that we put only one space after a comma and no space before a question mark.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then I want to ask whether such a way as can be equally strange? Shouldn't it be better to say such ways as, or it's a habitual usage? I still find the fragment strange at this stage.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then I want to ask whether such a way as can be equally strange? Shouldn't it be better to say such ways as, or it's a habitual usage? I still find the fragment strange at this stage.

Did you read post #9?

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, I didn't realize this. I posted this thread on my phone and that was the default layout I got with my input software so I assumed it was acceptable. Now I am using my laptop and I guess the format would be correct this time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Much better. That's a very strange default setting on a phone. Hopefully you can find a way to change it.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It indeed is a strange setting. I will have to stick to my laptop when I post here.

Emsr2d2, I don't know whether it is rude or against the regulation here to ask the following question. I originally asked Mike and given there are many new posts now he is probably busy elsewhere, or having a rest. He has already been very helpful to me. Also, as a development of my original question, it can be classified as a new question and therefore the start of a new post may be a better idea..

If it is acceptable, I want to ask why such a way as to take account of seems to have been accepted by the teachers as correct while it seems they kind of agree there should be more than one to list to justify the use of such as. Mike considers I like such a book as The History of English Speaking Peoples strange and 5jj changed it to I like such books as The History of English Speaking Peoples.

I think it would be logical to think such a way as to take account of is not correct if such a book as The History of English Speaking Peoples is believed to be wrong, because they seemingly have the same structure.

Many thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The problem with "I like such a book as The History of English ..." is:

1. If you mean "I like the book The History of English ...", then using "such a" is redundant. You simply need to say that you like that book.
2. If you mean "I like books which are similar to The History of English", then "such as" isn't appropriate.
3. If you are giving some examples of books you like in a particular category, then "such as" would work. "I like factual books, such as The History of English.

Mike found it "strange", 5jj changed it and I am now saying that it's wrong. Hopefully the answer/opinion of three native English speakers will be enough for you to accept that it's not correct even if you don't yet understand why.

Last edited:

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, emsr2d2.

I have always thought the specific stucture of such a book as The History of the English Speaking Peoples. Now I have a much better understanding as to why it is not correct, because you have gone such a great length to put down those words.

Perhaps I've understood it wrongly here. In #3 5jj said 'the sentence fragment with 'as to' is fine'. It seems to me he finds it accetable to say in such a way as to take account of. Shouldn't such a way as to be labelled incorrect for the same reasons aforementioned by you?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In post #1 you gave this fragment:

"... administrative arrangements have developed in such a way as to take account of the particular needs of different areas."

That is perfectly fine. "... in such a way as to take account" means "... in such a way that it ...".

You seem to be mixing up "such as" (a two-word phrase") with the two words "such" and "as" used in a sentence but with other words between them.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, emsr2d2. This has solved my question. Now I know where I went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.