Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A dove had spent its lifetime in a cage and had never flown under a ___________ sky.
Nature or natural should be in the gap? Thanks for help!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grammatically, the only possibility would be natural. But that would leave us with a sentence that makes no sense. There really isn't an "unnatural sky". The problem with the dove is having been unable to fly at all. It has nothing to do with the sky.

Last edited:

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello!

*I AM NOT A TEACHER OR NATIVE.*

Can we consider something like "high space" as another meaning for "sky" as well? If so, then we can differentiate "a natural sky" from the one which is, for instance, constrained in a covert area (e.g. a very big and high but roofed space), right?

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Grammatically, the only possibility would be natural. But that would leave us with a sentence that makes no sense. There really isn't an "unnatural sky". The problem with the dove is having been unable to fly at all. It has nothing to do with the sky.

I think it means the sky in nature, instead of an artificial one. The question is since a noun can also be used to modify another noun, why can't "nature" be used in this sentence?

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

First of all, we need to use an adjective, but "nature" is a noun.
Secondly, I can't imagine any unnatural, artificial sky. The question seems strange for me.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have never heard "nature sky" and would not know what it means. I still don't know what an "artificial" or "unnatural sky" would be.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It had never flown free. Never in the open air.

If it is flying inside a large cage or inside a building, that is one thing. But it isn't an artificial or unnatural sky.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think it means the sky in nature, instead of an artificial one.
My compatriot, we may say "大自然的天空" in Chinese, but it may be weird to say "a natural sky" in English because an artificial or unnatural sky is inconceivable. We should avoid using Chinglish.

Not a teacher.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can we consider something like "high space" as another meaning for "sky" as well? If so, then we can differentiate "a natural sky" from the one which is, for instance, constrained in a covert area (e.g. a very big and high but roofed space), right?

We don't normally do this, but you could for poetic or descriptive effect. In London's St Pancras station, the metal is painted blue to try to create the effect of an artificial sky with the glass, so it's not impossible, but I don't walk out of the station and think it's the natural sky outside: http://www.elleuk.com/var/elleuk/st...naissance-hotel-view-from-city-chamber_TA.jpg

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
"大自然的天空"

"大" - 'big' or 'great'.
"自然" - 'nature'
"的" - used to make the word function adjectivally
"天空" - 'the sky'

I see.
So, the problem seems to be that "natural sky" is the literal translation of the Chinese expression.
I suppose the aim of the question/exercise is to see if examinees/students can use the suitable form of the word 'nature' (in this case, an adjective), which doesn't really work in English.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have never heard "nature sky" and would not know what it means. I still don't know what an "artificial" or "unnatural sky" would be.
Surely you've heard of the experiments with the indigo bunting (a bird), which proved that they navigate by the stars by placing them under an artificial sky in which the star positions were manipulated?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think it means the sky in nature, instead of an artificial one. The question is since a noun can also be used to modify another noun, why can't "nature" be used in this sentence?
A noun can't always be used to modify another noun. This is an example.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Surely you've heard of the experiments with the indigo bunting (a bird), which proved that they navigate by the stars by placing them under an artificial sky in which the star positions were manipulated?

So, in the context of the experiment, the ceiling of a planetarium can be an 'artificial sky', right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think so.

However, that doesn't make natural sky work as a phrase; people can have artificial legs, but we don't talk of natural legs.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So, in the context of the experiment, the ceiling of a planetarium can be an 'artificial sky', right?
Unlike Tdol. I don't think this is possible. We know that it is meant to represent the sky, but I cannot imagine anybody actually referring to it as an 'artificial sky'.

The only artificial sky that I can think of is in a science fiction story, in which, for some reason, an enormous hemisphere has been contructed around half a planet to give the inhabitants the illusion that what they see above them is the sky. People in the uncovered half of the planet know they are seeing the real sky. People in the other half know they are seeing an artificial sky.

However, outside science fiction, I can't see 'artificial sky' working.

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We don't normally do this, but you could for poetic or descriptive effect. In London's St Pancras station, the metal is painted blue to try to create the effect of an artificial sky with the glass, so it's not impossible, but I don't walk out of the station and think it's the natural sky outside: http://www.elleuk.com/var/elleuk/st...naissance-hotel-view-from-city-chamber_TA.jpg

Thanks for your helpful explanations! Searching "under a natural sky", Google lists some books, pages, and documents but they are just a few.
For instance, the last paragraph of page 122 on: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/191/1/107.full.pdf

As you stated, it's not impossible to say "natural sky" but this term is very rarely used.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would think so. Those who are in the field of working with artifical skies don't seem to have a problem with the term.
http://www.uidaho.edu/caa/news/features/artificial-sky
http://www.slideshare.net/C_White/artificial-sky-visit-ucl
http://mnras.oxfordjournals.org/content/318/3/641.full.pdf

PS: I also have a picture of birds under an articial sky, but the editor won't let me post it, counting it as words! This has never happened before.
In any case, if you're an ornithologist working with birds under artificial skies, how do you refer to the [?] sky once they are released?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There was never such a thing as "natural grass" or "natural turf" until they invented artificial turf.

Status
Not open for further replies.