Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Teacher!

My boss said that my English is unnatural when I used the following phrase "company experiences a lack of financing". Is it so?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We would need the entire sentence and some context to answer that question.

Revolva

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The decline in sales amount can be explained by the fact that our customers experience a lack of financing. Therefore they tend to choose cheaper equipment.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The decline in sales amount can be explained by the fact that our customers experience a lack of financing. Therefore they tend to choose cheaper equipment.
That sounds OK to me. I'd say "The decline in sales" - not 'amount'. And maybe "our customers are experiencing ...". But I wouldn't call your sentence unnatural. Maybe your boss thinks it should be "lack of finance", or "lack of money" to put it bluntly, but "a lack of financing" means "an inability to arrange the necessary finance/money" not merely a lack of money.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In your complete sentence, I would use "are experiencing" instead of "experience". But in your first post you wrote "company experiences a lack of financing". That is much different from "customers experience a lack of financing".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This the type of "business writing" that gives business writers a bad name. There is no need to use "experience" in this sentence, even though it can certainly be grammatically correct.

Our customers are having trouble getting financing, so they are choosing less expensive equipment.
Our customers' inabilty to gain access to financing is causing them to make lower-cost choices.

(But if your competitors offer less expensive equipment that still meets customer needs, the lack of financing may not be what is driving your customers away.)

Status
Not open for further replies.