Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi!
- Jasmine is working as a dental assitant. What she does is.................. people's teeth.
[FONT=MathJax_Math]A[FONT=MathJax_Main].[/FONT][/FONT] clean [FONT=MathJax_Math]B[FONT=MathJax_Main].[/FONT][/FONT] cleans [FONT=MathJax_Math]C[FONT=MathJax_Main].[/FONT][/FONT] cleaning [FONT=MathJax_Math]D[FONT=MathJax_Main].[/FONT][/FONT] to clean
The key is A, but I am wondering why D is wrong, please?

Soup Chicken

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Not a teacher

You could say "Her job is to clean people's teeth" or "Her job is cleaning people's teeth".
I don't know why it is wrong (the rules involved), but it most definitely sounds wrong to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello!

*I AM NOT A TEACHER OR NATIVE.*

Hi!
- Jasmine is working as a dental assitant. What she does is.................. people's teeth.
[FONT=MathJax_Math]A[FONT=MathJax_Main].[/FONT][/FONT] clean [FONT=MathJax_Math]B[FONT=MathJax_Main].[/FONT][/FONT] cleans [FONT=MathJax_Math]C[FONT=MathJax_Main].[/FONT][/FONT] cleaning [FONT=MathJax_Math]D[FONT=MathJax_Main].[/FONT][/FONT] to clean

In my opinion, that's because of the verb which follows the subject. The to-infinitive comes after some certain verbs such as decide, like, want, etc. (please, see the second link below).
Therefore, if your sentence was "What she wants is...................... their rooms", then you had to fill in the blank with "to clean".

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/verbs/infinitive
http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/node/1404/

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi!

Hello.:-D
We need a subject complement after the linking verb 'is'.
In your example, we need something that functions as a noun - a 'to-infinitive' or a 'gerund', in this case.
Thus, C and D are both grammatically correct, in my opinion.

However, I often read/hear A (a bare infinitive) used in this type of construction.
I imagine that the bare infinitve (in this type of construction) is so commonly used that it has become the norm.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use A.

hoangkha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you all. I have just found this point of grammar in Practical English Usage (3rd edition) by Michael Swan, page 257.
Expressions like "All I did was, What I do is" etc can be followed by an infinitive without "to".
- All I did was (to) give him a little push.
- What a fire-door does is (to) delay the spread of a fire.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Yes, but the important thing to bear in mind is that this works because the verb is "do" in each case.

Replace "do" with almost any other verb, such as "want" or "be", and the "to" becomes indispensable.

All I wanted was to give him a little push.
What a fire-door is for is to delay the spread of a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.