Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi !

Is "I'll give you power, the power to see." a correct sentence ?

Shouldn't it be like "I'll give you a power, the power to see." ? I had quite a long discussion on this matter with some friends and now we don't know what's wrong or right anymore. X]

This sentence is meant to be in an english video teaser of a game I making. I'm french. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEEKnjLfrA

I've also been told that since on screen there is no full stops, this sentence might work. D:

Thanks !

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please don't ask the same question on two forums. It wasted the time of people who might respond on one, not realising that it had already been dealt with on the other.

Sycrie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
You're the only one who answered me until now, and I thank you for that. :3 Still, I want others opinion. Seeking more opinions or information isn't a something bad, right ?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've also been told that since on screen there is no full stops, this sentence might work. D:

I don't know what response you got in other forums and I don't know who told you "there are not full stops" but that is TERRIBLE advice.

It works with a comma because it's an appositive, a noun phrase that clarifies or adds information to the noun phrase that comes right before it, and it's properly separated with a comma.

It doesn't "work because there are no full stops on screen" -- it works because it's properly punctuated that way.

I'll leave the "power" versus "a power" to others.

I find comma splices REALLY annoying and reading that someone told you to not use periods/full stops annoys me greatly.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know what response you got in other forums and I don't know who told you "there are not full stops" but that is TERRIBLE advice
I didn't think so when I gave it. I still don't.

In the context of a trailer in which four or five words come up on the screen at a time, I don't think many people worry about punctuation.
I find comma splices REALLY annoying and reading that someone told you to not use periods/full stops annoys me greatly.
I'll have to live with that.

I didn't actually advise the OP not to use full stops. My words were "Some of them are not complete sentences, However, you haven't used full stops on the screen and I think they work." In the context of a trailer, I still think that.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah. That's a different story.
In that context, it makes sense. I can live with all sorts of things in the right context.

"Don't use full stops on a screen" (implication: EVER!) is not good advice - I thnk you'll agree?
Can you imagine if everything we read on the Internet were just sentences linked with commas? (Shudder)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Don't use full stops on a screen" (implication: EVER!) is not good advice - I think you'll agree?
Yes, but then I wouldn't dream of giving such advice.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Imagine my shock when it appeared you had! :shock: (Not knowing you were the giver of the misreported advice, albeit)

Status
Not open for further replies.