[Grammar] Is the word “clothes” a countable noun or an uncountable noun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timonline

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Brunei
It seems ”clothes” cannot be preceded by a quantity such as “one clothes” or “two clothes”, so in regards to this it should be classified as uncountable noun. But I read in many places, clothes are used with plural form verbs such as “are” and when plural form verb is used it cannot be regarded as a uncountable noun because according to grammer (at least those what I know), uncountable noun is always followed by single form verbs such as "is".

The same question I want to ask about the collective noun “cattle”. "cattle" cannot be preceded by one or two, but is always followed by plural form verbs such as "are". And also "poultry".

And one more question: is noun always classified either as countable or uncountable? Is there a situation where, like in the collective nouns above, some nouns can’t be classified as neither of the two categories? Thanks!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Her clothes are beautiful." Uncountable.

"Cattle" is always uncountable. "Poultry", on the other hand, is a category like "meat". For example "Poultry is something that a chef should ...". Poultry exists only in the singular, never in the plural.

"And one more question: is noun always classified either as countable or uncountable?"

Nouns are almost always either countable or not. There are a very few exceptions. For example one can say "Oats are a nutritious food", and "Oats is the only cereal crop that can be grown north of 56 degrees north latitude."

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Many uncountable nouns denote an uncountable mass, and take the singular form of the verb. Some, however, take the plural form of the verb.

Plural uncountable nouns include: arms (= weapons), cattle, clothes, goods, police, regards, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.