Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello Teacher -

Can you please help me to understand usage of PP and simple past in below scenario...

My boss asked me to talk with a supplier to get the update on the product delivery date ...

i spoken to supplier and want to update my boss on the current status of product ...

is it OK to use the below sentence

Sir - i have spoken to her and came to know from her that product will be delivered by tomorrow.

Please help to me to understand the scenario when such a case arises .

Thanks

Gaurav

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello!

*I AM NOT A TEACHER OR NATIVE.*

Hello Teacher -

Can you please help me to understand the usage of PP and simple past in the following scenario?

My boss asked me to talk with a supplier to get the update on the product delivery date...

I spoken to the supplier and wanted to update my boss on the current status of the product...

Is it OK to use the sentence below?

Sir, I spoke / I have spoken to her and came to know / have come to know from her that the product will be delivered by tomorrow.

Please help to me to understand the scenario when such a case arises.

Thanks

Gaurav

To understand the differences between the Present Perfect Tense and the Simple Past Tense, the page addressed below could be helpful:
http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/410/grammar/ppvpast.htm

In your scenario, although your conversation with "her" has already finished, it has some connections with the present (and even future) and therefore you can use present perfect. However, simple past also is possible and I would use it. As I know, in American English in many cases you can simply use the simple past instead of the present perfect tense.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have spoken to supplier and want to update my boss on the current status of product ...

Note that "I spoke" or "I have spoken" are correct but "I spoken" is not.

Try this: I have spoken to the supplier and she told me that the product will be delivered by tomorrow.

You can certainly mix tenses in a sentence, but "I have spoken" and "I have learned" work better together.

Status
Not open for further replies.