[Answered] I'm talking to my wife in the waiting room. (Said & say and have & had)

• Thread starter B45
  • Start date
  • Views : 3,824
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Well, honey, the Doctor Gruber says/said that it's still too early to tell, so the only thing I can do right now is to wait it out.

And

The doctor said that I have/had 20/20 vision which I don't think is right.

Please show me the correct way of usage. Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both are fine. He's Doctor (or Dr) Gruber, not the Doctor Gruber.

B

B45

Both are fine. He's Doctor (or Dr) Gruber, not the Doctor Gruber.
Hello 5jj, are you saying that a native speaker would use both forms during conversation?

Thank you

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm not 5jj, but I would say so.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
WE use either the present or the past, not both.

B

B45

Would you say that for this sentence - The doctor said that I have/had 20/20 vision, which I don't think is right. - I should change it to:

The doctor says that I have 20/20 vision, which I don't think is right OR The doctor said that I had 20/20 vision, which I don't think is right.

And this is wrong: The doctor said that I have 20/20 vision, which I don't think is right.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They all need a comma after 'vision'. Apart from that, they are all possible, including the last one.

B

B45

What about this sentence: Well, honey, the Doctor Gruber says/said that it's still too early to tell, so the only thing I can do right now is to wait it out.

Should it be: Well, honey, Dr. Gruber said that it was still too early to tell, so the only thing I could do right now was to wait it out.

or

Might it be: Well, honey, Dr. Gruber says that it is still too early to tell, so the only thing I can do right now is to wait it out.

All in one tense and not mixed tenses?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Would you say that for this sentence - The doctor said that I have/had 20/20 vision which I don't think is right. - I should change it to:

The doctor says that I have 20/20 vision which I don't think is right OR The doctor said that I had 20/20 vision which I don't think is right.

And this is wrong: The doctor said that I have 20/20 vision which I don't think is right.

None of them is correct as written, punctuation is needed.

B

B45

None of them is correct as written, punctuation is needed.
Could you help me with the punctuation, as English is not my first language, and I hope I will progressively start to get better in my punctuation.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I told you what to do with the punctuation. I also told you that it was not the Dr Gruber.

B

B45

I told you what to do with the punctuation. I also told you that it was not the Dr Gruber.
Sorry 5jj, but I'm speaking of this post:
What about this sentence: Well, honey, Dr. Gruber says/said that it's still too early to tell, so the only thing I can do right now is to wait it out.

Should it be: Well, honey, Dr. Gruber said that it was still too early to tell, so the only thing I could do right now was to wait it out.

or

Might it be: Well, honey, Dr. Gruber says that it is still too early to tell, so the only thing I can do right now is to wait it out.

All in one tense and not mixed tenses?

Last edited:
B

B45

Apart from 'the Doctor Gruber' in the first, again​, all your sentences are possible.
But my dear friend,

How could: Well, honey, Dr. Gruber said that it is still too early to tell, so the only thing I can do right now is to wait it out. - be possible, when the other native speaker said that you guys use all past tense or all present tense and said in this sentence is clearly past tense while the rest of the sentence is in present tense.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Which 'other native speaker'?

Try reading the article I liked you to for information on the tenses in indirect speech..

ps, 'My dear friend' is not normally an appropriate way to address someone in English unless they are really your dear friend.

B

B45

Which 'other native speaker'?

Try reading the article I liked you to for information on the tenses in indirect speech..

ps, 'My dear friend' is not normally an appropriate way to address someone in English unless they are really your dear friend.
5jj, bhaisahab is the other native speaker I was referring to.

I read the article and have come to this conclusion, that:

Well, honey, Dr. Gruber said that it's still too early to tell, so the only thing I can do right now is to wait it out. Is INCORRECT, because only direct speech and indirect speech are possible. Examples here:

Well, honey, Dr. Gruber says that it's still too early to tell, so the only thing I can do right now is to wait it out.

AND

Well, honey, Dr. Gruber said that it was still too early to tell, so the only thing I could do right now was to wait it out.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. You have the choice of using the present or the past for the verb for when the doctor said it. When it is VERY recent (you are still in the waiting room) you can use present. It's always okay to use past, and it's sometimes okay to use present.

You have a choice of which tense to use with the reported speech. If it's still true or set in the future, you can use present. It's always okay to backshift. it's sometimes okay to use the same tense used when spoken - i.e, it's still true or hasn't happened yet.

says - can
said - can
said - could

The only one that doesn't work is says - could: if you use present for the verb of speech, use present for what was said.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Where did bhai say that we use all past tense or all present tense?

The sentence you conclude is incorrect is not incorrect.

When you read the article, did you see the the words below?

Optional Backshifting

When the verb of speech introducing the indirect speech is in a past tense (simple, progressive or perfect), and the situation reported is still true at the moment of speaking, we can, but do not have to, backshift:
“I want to go home” – He said (that) he wants/wanted to go home.
“I have been looking forward to this” – She said (that) he has/had been looking forward to this.
“Didn’t Wendy retire last month?” – He was asking if/whether Wendy retired/had retired last month.
“We can’t afford it.” - They said (that) they can’t/couldn’t afford it.
“I could see you tomorrow.” – He said (that) he could see me tomorrow.

Read more at https://www.usingenglish.com/articles/indirect-reported-speech.html#Lqh75AHFyebFyzog.99

Last edited:
B

B45

No. You have the choice of using the present or the past for the verb for when the doctor said it. When it is VERY recent (you are still in the waiting room) you can use present. It's always okay to use past, and it's sometimes okay to use present.

You have a hocie of which tense to use with the reported speech. If it's still true or set in the future, you can use present. It's always okay to backshift. it's sometimes okay to use the same tense used when spoken - i.e, it's still true or hasn't happened yet.

says - can
said - can
said - could

The only one that doesn't work is says - could: if you use present for the verb of speech, use present for what was said.

What is hocie?

B

B45

Where did bhai say that we use all past tense or all present tense?

The sentence you conclude is incorrect is not incorrect. - DO YOU MEAN CORRECT AND NOT INCORRECT?

The sentence you conclude is incorrect is not incorrect. - DO YOU MEAN CORRECT AND NOT INCORRECT?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.