Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can you use "then" like this:

"He cooked the food, then went to do the laundry"

It seems that this is used like a conjunction, whereas "then" is an adverb (or adjective).

Thoughts? Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Then" can be a conjunctive adverb.

englishteacher79

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Then" can be a conjunctive adverb.

Yes, but even so, wouldn't the sentence I quoted be wrong. From my understanding (I may be wrong), that's not how a conjunctive adverb is used. That is used more as a conjunction - linking two clauses together.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's what 'then' is doing in your sentence,

englishteacher79

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello, englishteacher79.:-D

For your reference: https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/ConjAdv.html

Thanks, that's the way I understand it. That's why I don't understand why the others say that the example sentence is correct.

Again, I quote the example sentence, which I think is wrong, but others seem to say is correct:

"He cooked the food, then went to do the laundry"

Quoting from the above website,

"When a conjunctive adverb connects two independent clauses in one sentence, it is preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma."

The example sentence on the website of the correct use of a conjunctive adverb is:

"Tuition increases, say officials, are driven by the universities' costs; consequently, tuition income typically covers less than 50% of college budgets."

The above sentence is correct since there's a semicolon preceding it and a comma after. But in my example sentence, there isn't any semi colon.

So I'm confused as to why people are saying the example sentence I gave is correct.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why did you keep linking us back to post no. 4, english teacher?

More than fifty years ago, I was taught at school that "He cooked the food, then went to do the laundry" was incorrect. We had to use either a semi-colon or 'and' after 'food'.

There are still some who try to insist on this, but many would accept your sentence.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"went to do the laundry" is not an independent clause. It lacks a subject.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'He is the subject of both clauses, as it is in "He cooked the food and went to the laundry".

englishteacher79

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
5jj, sorry, got it corrected. The copy and paste just gave me all those.

So you're saying that it's (the sentence is) OK I guess. It's probably more to do with not totally following the "rules" I guess.

If you say some would accept my sentence, would they also accept:

"I was very bored, therefore I went to the movies."

Barb_D, I'm not sure what your point is in the context of what we're discussing. Could you elaborate a bit more? Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
5jj, sorry, got it corrected. The copy and paste just gave me all those.
Fine. That does happen at times
So you're saying that it's (the sentence is) OK I guess.
That is my opinion. It certainly would not lose any marks in Cambridge ESOL examinations.
It's probably more to do with not totally following the "rules" I guess.
Don't forget that the rules are written by writers of style guides. They are not laws.
If you say some would accept my sentence, would they also accept:

"I was very bored, therefore I went to the movies."
Some would; I wouldn't. 'Therefore' has not gone as far in the conjunction direction as 'then' for me.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Quoting from the above website,

"When a conjunctive adverb connects two independent clauses in one sentence, it is preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma."
Without the repeated "he" the second part is not an independent clause. (I must disagree with Jed - we understand the subject is "he" but the second part "then went to do the laundry" is not an independent clause by itself.) Therefore, your reliance on this rule is misplaced.

"He cooked the food, then he went to do the laundry" has two independent clauses. I agree with Jed entirely that in the old days, we would have required either a semi-colon or an "and" to make this grammatical. Many people do write this way. I consider this a comma splice. Others may say the "then" keeps it from being one.

The example sentence on the website of the correct use of a conjunctive adverb is:

"Tuition increases, say officials, are driven by the universities' costs; consequently, tuition income typically covers less than 50% of college budgets."
This has two subjects: Tuition increases in the first clause and tuition income in the second clause. The rule applies.

So I'm confused as to why people are saying the example sentence I gave is correct.
What if it were a simpler sentence?
I brushed my teeth and went to bed. -- No problem, right? One subject, two actions.

I brushed my teeth, then went to bed. -- This is the same as your sentence in structure and you've heard all of us say it's fine.
I brushed my teeth; then went to bed. -- This is not grammatical.
I brushed my teeth, then I went to bed. -- I call this a comma splice. Others may not.
I brushed my teeth, and then I went to bed. -- This is grammatical but has unnecessary repetition.
I brushed my teeth and then went to bed. -- This is grammatical and perhaps alleviates your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.