Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If I'm posting in the wrong place, please guide me to the appropriate page.

I want to teach a friend of mine English, just enough for him to, say, grasp what his Engineering books are trying to tell him. As some of you might have noticed, I am not very good at it myself. But, he can't afford classes and I really don't want a language to be the thing that stops him from doing what he wants to. So, can someone please guide me as to how I should begin and which topics I need to start with? Also, how should I assess him before beginning to teach him?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why don't you get him to bring in some of his engineering texts that he has already read and see what his comprehension is like- start asking him about the information and you will soon get an idea of his level and how he is coping and what he needs to learn. I would take photocopies of some texts and chunks of them, then use them in class as a basis for teaching.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I agree with Tdol. Conduct a needs analysis. What are his goals, preferred learning styles, and so on?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that there is going to be a big difference between teaching general English to a beginner and getting someone to understand technical jargon of Engineering books.

Status
Not open for further replies.