Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Tomorrow will be the Qingming Festival, which is a day to memorize the dead according to Chinese custom. However, as there will be an extra day off, everyone in the office became too excited to do any work when it was nearly the time to go home. After that, several things happened to me, all of which I consider very amusing.

Some colleagues had left the office before I finished putting my things into the bag. However, when they reached the first floor, they were so surprised as to see me standing in the hall waiting for them. "I wonder why you came here earlier even under the condition that you left the office later than us?!” A girl exclaimed. In fact, this was the time of 'rush hour'. As many staffs of our company come home at this time, the lift they were taking was so busy that it had to stop at each floor. However, the lift I took did not stop at any floor and ran directly towards the bottom floor, which caused my early arrival.

When I got out of our office building and was on my way to the subway, I suddenly noticed a woman nearby looked very like one of my acquaintances working in ZTE. I immediately poured scorn on my idea as soon as it occurred, considering that it was a chance in a million that she should be here, as she currently lived in Shanghai. To my surprise, she greeted me as soon as she saw me, which proved that I was right. She told me that she had just asked a day off, in order that she could have enough time to come to Beijing for a visit with her daughter. They had just came back from Summer Palace, and both of them had really had a very good time. I felt extremely pleased seeing them, and meanwhile very proud, because the air pollution, which had been terribly serious a few days ago, became much better today, which could be seen as a warm welcome to visitors like them.

After I had got off at YongHe Lama Temple station, I transferred to line No.5 in order to get home. During the rush hour, it was extremely difficult to get on the train. Even if you manage to do so, you will have standing room only. I had just managed to push myself into the compartment and there was hardly any space for even one passenger, when a shabby old woman came near. Just before the door of the train closed, she screamed 'coming' continuously, which greatly scared the passengers waiting outside the compartment who immediately stood aside, and she was able to squeeze into the train with her husband, who was carrying a large cloth bag full of trash like plastic bottles. This made most of the passengers on the train very uncomfortable, and some of them were afraid that the trash and clothes would make them dirty. When the train was arriving at the next stop, a women passenger who wanted to get off asked the shabby old woman to move in so that it would be easy for her to reach the door. I was scared again by the sudden 'bark' coming from the shabby woman as a response to the polite request, which occurred to me that she must have been mad. As the train stopped, I escaped immediately from her, hoping that I would never meet her again.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tomorrow will be the Qingming Festival, which is a day to [STRIKE]memorize [/STRIKE] remember the dead according to Chinese customs. However, as there will be an extra day off, everyone in the office became too excited to do any work when it was nearly [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]time to go home. After that, several things happened to me, all of which I consider very amusing.

Some colleagues had left the office before I finished putting my things into [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE] my bag. However, when they reached the first floor, they were [STRIKE]so [/STRIKE]surprised as to see me standing in the hall waiting for them. "I wonder why you [STRIKE]came [/STRIKE] got here earlier even [STRIKE]under the condition that[/STRIKE] though you left the office later than us?!)(Don't use two marks. It's either a question or an exclamation)” A girl exclaimed. In fact, this was the [STRIKE]time of[/STRIKE] 'rush hour' as many [STRIKE]staffs [/STRIKE] staff members of our company [STRIKE]come [/STRIKE] go home at this time. The lift they were taking was so busy that it had to stop at each floor. However, the lift I took did not stop at any floor and [STRIKE]ran [/STRIKE] went directly [STRIKE]towards [/STRIKE] to the bottom floor, which caused my early arrival.

When I got out of our office building and was on my way to the subway, I suddenly noticed a woman nearby who looked very much like one of my acquaintances working in ZTE. I immediately poured scorn on my idea as soon as it occurred, considering that [STRIKE]it [/STRIKE] there was [STRIKE]a [/STRIKE] one chance in a million that she should be here, as she currently lived in Shanghai. To my surprise, she greeted me as soon as she saw me, which proved that I was right. She told me that she had [STRIKE]just [/STRIKE]asked for a day off, in order that she [STRIKE]could [/STRIKE] would have enough time to come to Beijing for a visit with her daughter. They had just came back from the Summer Palace, and both of them had really had a very good time. I felt extremely pleased seeing them, and meanwhile, very proud, because the air pollution, which had been terribly serious a few days ago, became much better today, which could be seen as a warm welcome to visitors like them.

After I had got off at the YongHe Lama Temple station, I transferred to line No.5 in order to get home. During the rush hour, it was extremely difficult to get on the train. Even if you managed to do so, [STRIKE]you [/STRIKE] there will [STRIKE]have [/STRIKE] be standing room only. I had just managed to push myself into the compartment and there was hardly any space for even one more passenger, when a shabby old woman came near. Just before the door of the train closed, she screamed 'coming' continuously, which greatly scared the passengers waiting outside the compartment who immediately stood aside, and she was able to squeeze [STRIKE]into [/STRIKE] onto the train with her husband, who was carrying a large cloth bag full of trash-like plastic bottles. This made most of the passengers on the train very uncomfortable, and some of them were afraid that the trash and clothes would make them dirty. When the train [STRIKE]was arriving[/STRIKE] arrived at the next stop, a women passenger who wanted to get off asked the shabby old woman to move in so that it would be easy for her to reach the door. I was scared again by the sudden 'bark' coming from the shabby woman as a response to the polite request, which occurred to me that she must have been mad. As the train stopped, I [STRIKE]escaped [/STRIKE]immediately escaped from her, hoping that I would never meet her again.
Gil

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure you understand the meaning of "amusing." The first one could be amusing. The second one could be pleasant or surprising or delightful or many other words. The last one is at least interesting but also uncomfortable or odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.