Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have an exam to attend in june (banking sector) and in that exam i have to attempt english descriptive, it consists of Essay writing, Letter writing, Presis writing.
I can work with letter and essay writing, but i have a problem with presis. i don't have a knowledge on that. I think the good thing would be to start from basics. So, Please help me!

Thank you!

visheshreddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Thank you for the response!

All i know that Presis is a summary of a long story or paragraph. but i want some tips, like how to write Presis, on what basis should we write it, should i write it how i understand it? can i add some information of my own in the Presis if i know the topic? and some general things like that.
I searched about them but they are so complicated. If you could give me some examples that would be great, or else just enlighten me with some basics.

Thank you!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note the correct spelling of precis, which need not be capitalised every time you write it.

Click here to read more.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
All i know that Presis is a summary of a long story or paragraph. but i want some tips, like how to write Presis, on what basis should we write it, should i write it how i understand it? can i add some information of my own in the Presis if i know the topic? and some general things like that.
A precis is a summary of a larger passage. We can't teach you here how to summarise. There are numerous pages on the web - search for "How to write a precis"
You've asked some specific questions that can be answered here:
On what basis should we write it? On the basis on which it has been requested of you, or, if it's for your own purposes, you write it in a manner that is most useful to you, to remember the information, or use later, etc.
Should I write it how I understand it? Yes
Can I add information? No

Feel free to ask other specific questions. But once you work out what a precis is, and the purposes for which they are used, the answers should be clear.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is nothing to do with how to write a précis but remember to always capitalise the word "I" in written English.

visheshreddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you!

visheshreddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you! Should I capitalise "I" even in the middle of a sentence? I thought it should be done at the starting of a sentence.

example-All "i" know that Presis is a summary of a long story or paragraph. but "i" want some tips.
Is this wrong?

visheshreddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you! and sure I'll ask some more questions if I have any doubts.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you! Should I capitalise "I" even in the middle of a sentence?
What? You mean like the rest of us do? Like you'll find in any English book/newspaper/article that you care to open? Yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As you now know, the word "I" is capitalised regardless of where it appears in the sentence. Make a note of these rules of written English, learn them and follow them at all times. They will help you not to lose marks in tests and exams because of simple errors:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Capitalise all proper nouns (English, Shakespeare, Microsoft, Facebook, India etc).
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.