• Thread starter B45
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,542
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

I'm having trouble with using across.

Does across have to be straight across from where that person is standing and looking towards. Like, if I see a restaurant straight ahead of me and the only thing that's between me and the restaurant is an intersection, I would say that, that restaurant is across from me. So, what about if there's a restaurant on my left hand side, which isn't the side I'm looking at, and the only thing that's in between us is a street, how would I give directions to that restaurant?

My guess is: The restaurant is close by and just right by my place. Or could I also use, the restaurant is just right across the street from my place.

Samuel Ezra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Batman, strange question, you got me thinking.
Looking at your guesses and judging from your description I would say both are acceptable. 'Across' would usually imply something that's nearby and within vision range, so it would sound fine to my ears.
Maybe you were thinking of the word 'opposite', in that case only your first example could use that description.

B

B45

Hi Batman, strange question, you got me thinking.
Looking at your guesses and judging from your description I would say both are acceptable. 'Across' would usually imply something that's nearby and within vision range, so it would sound fine to my ears.
Maybe you were thinking of the word 'opposite', in that case only your first example could use that description.
Could you kindly use opposite in a directional manner for me?

Thank you!

Samuel Ezra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Ireland
Yeah sure.

EXAMPLE 1: While looking out of the restaurant, I noticed there was a post office opposite the restaurant.
EXAMPLE 2: There is a post office opposite the restaurant.

ALTERNATIVE 1: While looking out of the restaurant, I noticed there was a post office across the street (from the restaurant).
ALTERNATIVE 2: There is a post office across (the road) from the restaurant.

Notice in #2, the use of across is less specific, even though it can mean opposite.

Does that help?

Last edited:
B

B45

Yeah sure.

EXAMPLE 1: While looking out of the restaurant, I noticed there was a post office opposite the restaurant.
EXAMPLE 2: There is a post office opposite the restaurant.

ALTERNATIVE 1: While looking out of the restaurant, I noticed there was a post office across the street (from the restaurant).
ALTERNATIVE 2: There is a post office across (the road) from the restaurant.

Notice in #2, the use of across is less specific, even though it can mean opposite.

Does that help?
Yes, so in the first example, the post office is opposite(not directly in front, but a distance aways in front) of the restaurant. - Is this so?

Samuel Ezra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Ireland
From the statement, we wouldn't know exactly. All we know is that it's in a position facing the restaurant. The distance between is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.