make a scene or worse comes to worse toss your drink in their face/faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

My daughter said she got groped in the club by these three teenagers. I said to her:

First you shouldn't have gone clubbing, cause it was too late, and next time if that happens to you again, make sure to go find your guy friends. If they continue to harass you, make a scene or worse comes to worse toss your drink in their face/faces.

Should it be face or faces?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My daughter said she got groped in the club by these three teenagers. I said to her:

First, you shouldn't have gone clubbing, [STRIKE]cause [/STRIKE] because it was too late, and next time if that happens to you again, make sure to go find your guy friends ​(A bit awkward but understandable). If they ("they" here is too close to "guy friends" and it sounds as though the "guy friends" were doing the harassment - in these cases it is better to define who you are talking about) continue to harass you, make a scene, or, if worse comes to worse toss your drink in their face/faces. If it is more than one person who is to receive the assault, then use the plural, faces.

Should it be face or faces?
Gil

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many consider "worse comes to worse" to be an error. But it occurs with some frequency. My understanding is the original was "(the) worst comes to (the) worst". Later that changed (based on logic) to "worse comes to worst".

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/worse.html

Status
Not open for further replies.