Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am a freshman in unversity and my major is English . Though having learned English since primary school ,my verbal English is still poor . I do a good job in prononciation ,but there are so many grammar mistakes when i want to express my ideas .In addition , the vocabulary that I can understand in articles can't be applied to my daily communication. All what i speak out are a few easy words .
I do want to make an improvment and I really need your help . thank you sooooooooo much!:)

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

Stop putting a space between a word and full stop is a good start. :-D

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does it make any difference in spoken English?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, Matthew.:-D
I think
Does it make any difference in spoken English?
was your response to Boris's post above.

I understand what you mean, but we are supposed to write correct English here.
I don't think it is a bad idea at all to know how to punctuate correctly. What do you think?:-D

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, tzfujimino.:-D
Did I suggest punctuation is unimportant?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, tzfujimino.:-D
Did I suggest punctuation is unimportant?
Hello, again.:-D
Well, that's a difficult question for me to answer, actually. It's because I'm not a native speaker of English, as you know.
I'd interpret it as "Correct punctuation doesn't make any difference to spoken English, so writing in that way is no problem."
(Please forgive me if my interpretation is wrong.)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, again.:-D
Well, my English comprehension is by no means better than yours.
What I meant is "Correct punctuation doesn't make any difference to spoken English, so it may be not pertinent to the OP's question."
(Please forgive me if my first post caused misunderstanding.)

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I am a freshman in unversity and my major is English . Though having learned English since primary school ,my verbal English is still poor . I do a good job in prononciation ,but there are so many grammar mistakes when i want to express my ideas .In addition , the vocabulary that I can understand in articles can't be applied to my daily communication. All what i speak out are a few easy words .
I do want to make an improvment and I really need your help . thank you sooooooooo much!:)
Hello, catherine9528.:-D
Well, the only advice I can give you is that you should use the words/expressions you've learned. As you're an English major, you'll have a lot of opportunities to talk with people in English. Please make full use of what you've learned. Please don't be afraid of making mistakes.
Good luck!
:-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome Catherine. The answer is practice! Talk to yourself, talk to others, join a social group, join your local Toastmasters International, find a language exchange partner - the possibilities are endless.

The earlier conversation which somewhat hijacked this thread did make a serious point. There are rules in written English and we ask all posters to follow them. The most important are:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.