English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello,

I would like to know the exact answer of these questions from the following passage:

In the middle of the sahn there was usually a fountain playing into a basin. Originally this basin was square in shape, with, at a lower level, the corners cut off to form an octagon. From each of the new sides thus formed, a semi-circle is cut, so that the whole basin seems to be a geometrical projection of a dome supported by arches(Figure 4), thus re presenting a man’s view of the sky from the middle of his house.

This shape was not accidentally nor haphazardly conceived. It was symbolic. To the Arab, the house was a microcosm or little world, and by using architectural symbols he expressed his view of the uni verse. To him, the four walls of the courtyard represented the four columns carrying the dome of the sky. The sky is then drawn down into intimate contact with the living rooms by reflecting it in a basin which has the form of a dome on arches. Thus, nature and space are brought into the town-house by their transposition into architectural forms and by symbolism.

Question (1): What is the usual shape of the basin?

Question (2): What effect has this shape?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum?

When will you submit your homework to your teacher/tutor?

smart.way

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Oh sorry. I would like to welcome everybody in here as this is my first post. Well this is not a homework , I just try to practice it myself.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I would like to know the exact answer of these questions from the following passage:

In the middle of the sahn there was usually a fountain playing into a basin. Originally this basin was square in shape, with, at a lower level, the corners cut off to form an octagon. From each of the new sides thus formed, a semi-circle is cut, so that the whole basin seems to be a geometrical projection of a dome supported by arches(Figure 4), thus representing a man’s view of the sky from the middle of his house.

This shape was not accidentally nor haphazardly conceived. It was symbolic. To the Arab, the house was a microcosm or little world, and by using architectural symbols he expressed his view of the uni verse. To him, the four walls of the courtyard represented the four columns carrying the dome of the sky. The sky is then drawn down into intimate contact with the living rooms by reflecting it in a basin which has the form of a dome on arches. Thus, nature and space are brought into the town-house by their transposition into architectural forms and by symbolism.

Question (1): What is the usual shape of the basin?

Question (2): What effect has this shape?

Take a look at the passage again.

smart.way

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Oh yes, thanks Barb_D. That is the answer of the first question.

Well the answer of the second one: Question (2): What effect has this shape?

It made the house as it was a microcosm or little world. The four walls of the courtyard represented the four columns carrying the dome of the sky.

So, is that a model answer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.