Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
What would your choice be?
What would be your choice?

Which one is correct and why? Or both are OK? Or it depends on something.

Thank you very much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Carolina, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice house the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Lest the original poster be confused by the "disagree" by a non-native speaker who identifies as a learner and not a teacher, I agree with Rover. Both are okay.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Lest the original poster be confused by the "disagree" by a non-native speaker who identifies as a learner and not a teacher, I agree with Rover. Both are okay.
So the use of the Disagree button by a person who can't explain their disagreement is actually going to cause more posts to be made, rather than fewer! Another point for the debate.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Carolina is free and welcome to explain her disagreement of that post and I would be very interested in that explanation.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Indeed yes but with only one "like" being available right now, one disagree is balanced by only one agree, even if ten people who are teachers/native speakers agree.

I almost wish the disagree button came with a mandatory comment field.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

What is now post #2 appears to be mildly reprimanding Carolina for something that is not visible to the naked eye, like the original post #2 perhaps.

Has this been deleted? The thread doesn't make a lot of sense with gaping holes in it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, there was a post with incorrect information in it. It's common practice to delete misleading posts (we even delete our own when we realize we've made a bad post). It's also common practice to put the information in the "now post #2" as information on how the forums work. If people feel reprimanded for it, that's a shame, but it's not the intent. Be assured, we reserve the reprimands for private messages when posters continue to provide bad answers without any disclaimers.

Original poster: If you still have questions, please let us know. Otherwise, we'll consider this thread complete.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The thread doesn't make a lot of sense with gaping holes in it.
FYI, Carolina's post #2 said 'First one correct, second one not correct'.

Last edited:

jetu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Welcome to the forums, jetu.

They are both OK.

Thanks for your kind help. I believe your opinion.
It seems to me that English is so complicated sometimes that there is no clear explanation to a particular question. English is flexible, but as a second language user I'll never be sure about it, unfortunately. I feel frustrated from time to time when I don't know something.
This information exchange was interesting to read, though.
I think that I should also be braver to use English with more confidence even if I may make mistakes.

THANKS ALL OF YOU A LOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.