Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I once said a sentence like this.

"I studied all the past exams and quizzes to prep for the final, but when I was sitting in the classroom taking the final, I realized that the final is way more difficult than any past exam I ever had (here I know that grammatically, I was supposed to use past perfect, which is "had had"."

But how about in spoken English? Is it mandatory? "had had" sounds weird to me anyway...

Thank you!

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Although not strictly correct, I don't see a big problem with "I ever had" vs "I had ever had". I reckon I would use either. In speech, if I were using the pluperfect (the name for that tense), I'd use a contraction: "...I'd ever had."

PS: To nitpick, remember to close your brackets (granted it may be a typo), and even enclosed in speech marks, "had had" still needs to be capitalised, being at the start of a sentence. Other than that, well done!

[Not a teacher]

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

I once said a sentence like this.

"I studied all the past exams and quizzes to prep for the final, but when I was sitting in the classroom taking the final, I realized that the final is way more difficult than any past exam I ever had (here I know that grammatically, I was supposed to use past perfect, which is "had had"."

But how about in spoken English? Is it mandatory? "had had" sounds weird to me anyway... Mandatory? I won't say, but it's surely more elegant.

Thank you!

Although not strictly correct, I don't see a big problem with "I ever had" vs "I had ever had". I reckon I would use either. In speech, if I were using the pluperfect (the name for that tense), I'd use a contraction: "...I'd ever had."

PS: To nitpick, remember to close your brackets (granted it may be a typo), and even enclosed in speech marks, "had had" still needs to be capitalised, being at the start of a sentence. Other than that, well done!

[Not a teacher]

Past perfect and pluperfect are one and the same. On this side of the Atlantic you will most often hear 'past perfect.'

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
On this side of the Atlantic you will most often hear 'past perfect.'

I'd say that on this side of the Atlantic you never hear 'pluperfect' — only 'past perfect'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My father and grandfather (BrE) both used the term pluperfect, possibly because they both learnt Latin and Greek (and multiple other languages) which use the term.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I knew I shouldn't have said 'never'.:roll:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I heard pluperfect when studying French at school many years ago, but when talking about English, I always hear past perfect used.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

When I was at school the term used was pluperfect for all the languages I studied.

Since I am not a teacher and my mother tongue is English I honestly never gave any thought to what this tense is now called in English.

Does this mean that in today's English school system, children learning foreign languages are taught the term past perfect only?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From what I know of how children are taught foreign languages (not all of them are), I would be surprised if they were being given the names of tenses at all. My mum has been trying to help a friend's daughter with French and is at the end of her tether. There seems to be no logic to what the child is being taught. She has been learning for two years and she can't even conjugate a verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.