Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
But they say it is the hope that kills you and as United were still in the throes of celebration, their lead had lasted just 22 seconds and suddenly a game was on.

The above is what I hear on TV. But I doubt whether the underlined collocation is right. So I confirm with you teachers.

Is "in the throes of" collocated with "celebrations"? If YES, what does it mean in this context?

Thanks

Jason

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is a very odd word to use for celebration. It usually means "pain", "anguish", "a difficult period". "In the throes of passion" can be used for having sex. "Throes" can mean "spasms" and perhaps the author was describing the celebration as some mass spasm, but that is a stretch.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I believe they scored a goal and then while still feeling happy saw one scored against them just seconds later, so the writer might mean that the celebrations turned to pain. It's a strange phrase, though.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have met some people in my life who, based on the common phrase "in the throes of a dilemma", thought that "throes" meant "midst" or "middle". This seems to be the way the word was used here.

Status
Not open for further replies.