1. B45

"Hypothetically speaking, if client X decided that they wanted/want to opt out of the

I say to my boss:

"Hypothetically speaking, if client X decided that he wanted/want to opt out of his contract. We're in a lot of trouble."

VS

"Hypothetically speaking, if client X decides that he wanted/want to opt out of his contract. We're in a lot of trouble."

Which one would be correct?
    Last edited by B45; 13-Apr-2014 at 06:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: "Hypothetically speaking, if client X decided that they wanted/want to opt out of

The first one is correct with "wanted". The second one is incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: "Hypothetically speaking, if client X decided that they wanted/want to opt out of

The second would be correct with 'wants'. I would use "we'd be in a lot of trouble" for the first.
    In any case, you have to include the last sentence with the first. You can't split a conditional sentence into two like that.
    "If something happens, something follows", NOT "If something happens. Something follows".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

There shouldn't be a full stop after "contract". It makes the first part an incomplete sentence.

Hypothetically speaking, if the client decided that he wanted to opt out of his contract, we'd be in a lot of trouble.
    Hypothetically speaking, if the client decides that he wants to opt out of his contract, we'll be in a lot of trouble.

(Edit: Apologies, I failed to spot that Raymott had already pointed out that you need to combine the sentences.)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. B45

Since, it's hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it be better to use the 2nd conditional?
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 13-Apr-2014 at 19:00. Reason: Deleting unnecessary quote

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

All conditionals are hypotheticals to a certain extent because they all involve something which hasn't happened yet. The first conditional is used for a real possibility. It sounds to me as if there is a real possibility that he will decide to opt out of the contract. On that basis, I actually prefer the first conditional.

Note that I wouldn't actually start either sentence with "Hypothetically speaking". I would simply say "If the client decides/decided ..." etc.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You could simplify the sentence even more by removing "that he wanted".

"If client X decided to opt out of his contract, we'd be in a lot of trouble."