[Grammar] having" as a present participle

• Thread starter vaibhavmaskar
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,649
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vaibhavmaskar

Could anyone give the example of word "having" as a present participle and gerund?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can you give it a try first? Then we can comment.

V

vaibhavmaskar

1. Having a car, Pauline was able to drive him to the airport. (participle 'having')

2.Having a car is an advantage if you live far from work. (gerund 'having')

In above two sentence(1, 2) meaning of having is Possessioning or owning car. But in sentence no. 3 to 13 I do not understand exact meaning. if you give a synonymous type of meaning. It's better.

3. Web-spinning was not invented by some unsung spider genius and does not depend on having had the right education or on having an aptitude for architecture or the construction trades.

4. Huge databases of these "transition probabilities" have been compiled by having a computer analyze bodies of English text

5. It shouldn't depend on the designer's carefully writing down three identical sets of instructions (or, more plausibly, on the child's having to learn the structure of the English sentence three different times, once between if and then, once between either and or, and once after a then or an or).

6. The word will is an example of an auxiliary, a word that expresses layers of meaning having to do with the truth of a proposition as the speaker conceives it.

7. bozotic adj. - Having the quality of Bozo the Clown

8. We're having Julia Child and her husband over for dinner tonight.

9. Each phoneme's sound signature is colored by the phonemes that come before and after, sometimes to the point of The Sounds of Silence 183 having nothing in common with its sound signature in the company of a different set of phonemes.

10.so the listener can digest the beginning without having to hold the heavy phrase in mind.

11. After a few false alarms the search was abandoned, and for several decades the psychology textbooks dismissed transformations as having no "psychological reality."

12. I was tired of having guests visiting all the time

13.Obama having silent moment for Boston bombing

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, vaibhavmaskar.:-D

Your understanding of #1 and #2 is correct.
When I read your original post (#1), you seemed to be asking about the difference between a gerund and a present participle.
Now in post #3, you are asking about the meanings of those 'having's.

Hmm... what should I do? (I think you should ask unrelated questions in separate/different threads.)

Can you identify which ones are gerunds and which ones are present participles?
(A clue: "Gerunds are used after prepositions.")

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is a good list and you were correct about 1 and 2. Can you now try to identify gerunds and participles in the rest and propose meanings for each of them?

V

vaibhavmaskar

I think sentence no-3 is participle, sentence no- 4, 7, 8, 12, 13 are gerund. and sentence. no- 5, 6, 9, 10, 11 I d not understand whether gerund or participle.

Though I understand "having" as gerund or participle , I do not understant which meaning it convey.

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think sentence no-3 is participle, sentence no- 4, 7, 8, 12, 13 are gerund. and sentence. no- 5, 6, 9, 10, 11 I d not understand whether gerund or participle.

Though I understand "having" as gerund or participle , I do not understant which meaning it convey.

I would say gerunds: 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12; participles: 6, 8, 9, 11,13.

The key to differentiating them is the role each word plays in the sentence. Gerunds functions as nouns. They can be subjects of clauses, objects of verbs, or objects of prepositions. Present participles can be part of of a progressive (continuous) verb or they can act as modifiers (adjectives or adverbs). The participle in 8 is part of the verb "are having" (the "are" is included in "we're"). Number 13 is a little strange. It sounds like the caption of a photograph in a newspaper.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Mike, except for #11. (It might be a gerund, in my opinion.)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion, the phrase with having in 11 appears to modify "transformations. The "as" makes it a little tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.