Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi guys.Could you please help me paraphrase this sentence, i realy can'e make sense of it.
'I was playing this one nanosecond at a time'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'I was playing this one nanosecond at a time'.
Have you heard the expression "one day at a time"? It means not planning too far ahead. Living only one day, then tomorrow, you live another day, etc. This person was playing by making decisions only for one nanosecond, then re-evaluating the state of things and playing for the next nanosecond, etc.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi guys. (space required here) Could you please help me paraphrase this sentence? I really [strike]can'e[/strike] can't make sense of it.
'I was playing this one nanosecond at a time'. (There is no need to put it in quotes AND underline it.)

Welcome to the forum.

Raymott has given you a great answer. Now please have a look at the amendments I have made to your post above, in red and grey.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note that the writer was exaggerating somewhat, given that a nanosecond is one thousand-millionth of a second.

I don't know how you'd paraphrase that.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Note that the writer was exaggerating somewhat, given that a nanosecond is one thousand-millionth of a second.
I don't know how you'd paraphrase that.
Restating "nanosecond" as "one thousand-millionth of a second" is a paraphrase. Though I think that if anything needed paraphrasing, it would be "at a time". A paraphrase is not always the best way to explain something.

Status
Not open for further replies.