Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Somebody please help me with the following word's usage: "as below"

e.g. We agree to buy the goods on terms and conditions below. -- This should be right. "below" modifies nouns
e.g. We agree to buy the goods on terms and conditions stated below. -- This should be right. "below" modifies "stated"
e.g. We agree to buy the goods on terms and conditions stated as below. -- This should be right. "as below" modifies "stated"

Then my puzzle is :
e.g. We agree to buy the goods on terms and conditions as below. -- Is this right? Can "as below" modify nouns directly?

The man over there is my brother. -- Since the adverbial phrase "over there" can modify a noun, does "as below" have the same grammatical function?

Thanks to all!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"As below" is just a short form of "as stated below" or "as listed below" or "as written below" or whatever is appropriate.
"Stated as below" doesn't sound right. It's either "as stated below" or "as below stated".

halbert

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"As below" is just a short form of "as stated below" or "as listed below" or "as written below" or whatever is appropriate.
"Stated as below" doesn't sound right. It's either "as stated below" or "as below stated".

I got your first point, taking it as elliptical for "as written below" or a structure like this.
However, i can hardly understand the second one.
"Stated as below" and "as below stated" mean no difference to me, since "as below" here modifies verb stated. Shall i just take it as your conventional expression, and learn it by heart?

By the way, do we have this kind of expression:
The rules are as below. "as below" can be used as a predicative phrase?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ok.
As to my further query, i think "as below" cannot be used like "The rules are as below", right?
Why not? You will see that often. It means "as [stated/given/written, etc.] below".
I suggest you learn one or two expressions that we've said are correct, and use those. You don't need a large choice of variants to use for this.

halbert

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why not? You will see that often. It means "as [stated/given/written, etc.] below".
I suggest you learn one or two expressions that we've said are correct, and use those. You don't need a large choice of variants to use for this.

In daily use I usually stkck to my usual expressions. However, i have homework to do. You know we learners do more exercise than use it(speaking). We have "Multiple Choice" and also "Sentence Correction". This means we have to know almost every usage of a phrase or a word. :oops: :-(

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Any test or homework in a foreign language that assumes that you know every usage of every phrase and word in that language is asking too much of you.

halbert

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Any test or homework in a foreign language that assumes that you know every usage of every phrase and word in that language is asking too much of you.

a little exaggeration.. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.