Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's not a poem; it's a song. No, "by such by such" is not an idiom. It's probably repeated because two more words to fit with the rhythm of the song and the writer likes the sound of "of such". This is not uncommon in songs.
The lyrics mean that happiness is thrown away by loving too much.

Fear not only believe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
It's not a poem; it's a song. No, "by such by such" is not an idiom. It's probably repeated because two more words to fit with the rhythm of the song and the writer likes the sound of "of such". This is not uncommon in songs.
I would say it is both : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Raglan_Road#As_a_poem
So, it's not something you would normally use, but a poetic expression?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Cf "It ain't me babe" and "blowin' in the wind". I don't think it is possible to make a categorical distinction between a poem and a song. They are the same to me. The only difference is that one requires a melody while the other does not.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Cf "It ain't me babe" and "blowin' in the wind". I don't think it is possible to make a categorical distinction between a poem and a song. They are the same to me. The only difference is that one requires a melody while the other does not.
I'm not sure why you picked those two songs. But I'm surprised that an English teacher can teach poetry and see no difference between a poem and a song (in general) apart from a melody.

But it ain't me, babe
No, no, no, it ain't me, babe
It ain't me you're lookin' for, babe.

This is unlikely to be part of a poem. A poet is careful with every word. If he repeats a word or an image or phrase, it's because he thinks it enhances the meaning. In a song, since melody and performance are also important, the actual words don't have to carry the whole weight. If the writer need to write "as such as such" to fill out a line, or to insert words that are nonsense, this is not a problem in pop songs, but is in poetry.
The lyrics of a song can be poetry. You can set a poem to music. But the enterprise of writing a poem and a song are completely different.
Most song lyrics are trite, but with good music and nice sounding production, they can be successful. A trite poem doesn't become successful. Also, since poems have to rely purely on words and their interrelations, there is nothing like the prevalence of "aint's and wannas and gonnas" etc. which occur in pop songs - because a song is rarely meant to be a poem.
Poems (good ones) generally pack much more meaning, new meaning into each stanza than a good song packs into a verse. The emphasis is on saying something in a new, inspiring way. Poems aren't made to be chanted; they are made to be spoken or read, and thought about.
Anyhow, you might not get what I'm trying to say, and I'm not going to spend more time on it. A retired English teacher should be able to write a thesis on the difference between a song and a poem.

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
It's not warm when she's away.
And she's always gone too long
Anytime she goes away.

Wonder this time where she's gone
Wonder if she's gone to stay
And this house just ain't no home
Anytime she goes away.

And I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,