Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does this "apparent" mean "seemigly" or "obvious"? I think the former.
2. What does this "go around" mean?
3. Does "[FONT=한컴바탕]Feeling pressed for time [/FONT]" mean we need to do more things though we have plenty of luxurious things due to humans' greed?
30)Compared to past generations, we are quite well off. In the past fifty years, the average buying power has more than tripled. We own a lot of electronic devices that are designed to make our lives easier, but still, as sociologists are eager to point out, there is no end to the list of things to do in our daily lives. We work as hard as our grandparents did, and the result is flawlessness but not freedom. The curtain edges are free of dirt, the picture hooks on the wall are firmly in place, and our eggs come out just the way we like them. The more we have, the more we want. The result is an apparent scarcity of time, a dilemma that seems to grow with each passing year, even though there is plenty of time to go around. Feeling pressed for time is the price we pay for an abundance of options.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

1. Seeming to be the case, but isn't necessarily so.
2. Available.
3. Having the impression of being short of time.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I learned from a dictionary that when "apparent" is used as a complement, it means "obvious", while as a descriptive adjective, "seeming".
a. It was apparent from her face that she was upset => obvious
b. My parents were concerned at my apparent lack of enthusiasm for school. => seeming

1. Seeming to be the case, but isn't necessarily so.

For this, my question was if the writer intended to say if the more we have, the busier we are due to our greed.
3. Having the impression of being short of time

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

"Feeling pressed for time is the price we pay for an abundance of options." refers back to, "...there is no end to the list of things to do in our daily lives."

"...the more we have, the busier we are due to our greed." as you put it, is what the writer says in the third to last sentence. "The more we have, the more we want."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Tante Grazie! Ho capito tutto! Thanks a lot! I got it!

Status
Not open for further replies.