[General] "depending on which side of yarrow you are on" - meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

What is the meaning of "depending on which side of yarrow you are on"?

The appears in the following sentence: "Another eating disorder is pica, or "pye-cuh", depending which you side of the yarrow you're on."

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means nothing to me. Where did you find that sentence? It's important to quote your source.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Could it be the river Yarrow? If so it could be in the USA, the UK, or Australia.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I am sure I've heard this before, as a child, and given the context at the time I assumed it was the river Yarrow in Lancashire.

I have since discovered that the name 'Yarrow' is a generic name word for river (like Fido the dog) and as a result there are many river Yarrows in England, and elsewhere.

The OP's phrase certainly suggests that people on one side of the Yarrow pronounce things one way, and people on the other side pronounce them differently. It is perhaps a little arcane.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

I am sure I've heard this before, as a child, and given the context at the time I assumed it was the river Yarrow in Lancashire.

I have since discovered that the name 'Yarrow' is a generic name word for river (like Fido the dog) and as a result there are many river Yarrows in England, and elsewhere.

The OP's phrase certainly suggests that people on one side of the Yarrow pronounce things one way, and people on the other side pronounce them differently. It is perhaps a little arcane.
I came to the same conclusion after some basic research. As far as "Yarrow" being a generic name, it may be in England but not in the US. As far as I could find out there is no Yarrow River in the US. At first reading I thought of the Yarrow plant.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Isn't there a Yarrow Liver in China?
Sorry, ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I considered various options: a river called the Yarrow (but it would have been capitalised and referred to as "the Yarrow"), a town/city called Yarrow (but it would have been capitalised) and the plant. I discounted the first two for the reasons given and the plant doesn't make any sense. No doubt, many years ago it had a perfectly logical explanation which has been lost in the mists of time. It seems clear, though, that it refers to the two possible pronunciations of "pica" - "pee-cuh" and "pie-cuh".

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you all for responding. I apologize for not replying earlier and for not giving some more context in my OP.

The person saying the sentence is an Australian professor in an MOOC on 'Food, Nutrition and Health'.

The only yarrow I had read about was the yarrow sticks used in I Ching (Book of Changes, pronounced yi jing), which is a Chinese divination method.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I doubt if the I Ching comes into it. I know nothing about Australian dialectology. There is a River Yarrow in Australia, and it might be used as a recognized line of distinction between dialects. (There is also the possibility that the reference is to such a line on British dialect maps, and Australian English sometimes preserves native UK dialect features - the words 'dunny' and 'cobber', for example.) In either case, I think it's pretty likely that it's referring to a river.

b

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher.

Hi,

Is it possible that "pye-cuh" is Scottish/Celtic pronounciation ? If so then perhaps Yarrow refers to the Yarrow Water which is a border river.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'd say that's pretty much the usual English pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.