• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Past or present

Hi guys,

Actually I read something and that is making me confused, here are those sentences.

1) He suggested that we went to the cinema.

2) He suggested that we go to the cinema or should go to the cinema, do they have the same meaning.

3) He demanded that I apologized or He demanded that I apologize or should apologize.

So, my question is do we have to use past form after suggest/ demand/ recommend or can we also use simple while referring to the past incident, are these sentences correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: Past or present

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Hi guys,

Actually I read something and that is making me confused, here are those sentences.

1) He suggested that we went to the cinema. Not correct.

2) He suggested that we go to the cinema AmE or should go to the cinema BrE, do they have the same meaning. They have the same meaning.

3) He demanded that I apologized Not correct or He demanded that I apologize or should apologize. Both correct.

So, my question is do we have to use past form after suggest/ demand/ recommend .or can we also use simple while referring to the past incident, are these sentences correct?
    The subjunctive is used in cases where the verb says that something should or must be done,The verbs you cite, as well as others such as request, propose, insist, require, etc.,when followed by that, call for the use of the subjunctive in the verb that follows. This is used more in AmE than in BrE, where should is the norm. (For example, "He demanded that I should apologize.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

"He suggested that we go to the cinema." This is correct and natural for this BrE speaker.

4. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

But I read this expression in the grammer book" My friend suggested that I bought a car", so what does it mean. And there is one more formation, is this correct " Bob's friend suggested that he asks for the meal, when he goes there, so he went there and asked for the meal"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Hi guys,
    Actually I read something and that is making me confused. Here are those sentences.
    What do you mean by "actually" here? It doesn't have a meaning that fits.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

But I read this expression in the grammar book": My friend suggested that I bought a car", so what does it mean?

And there is one more formation - is this correct? "Bob's friend suggested that he asks for the meal, when he goes there, so he went there and asked for the meal."

Which grammar book did you read it in and what grammar term was it trying to explain?

Your second sentence, starting with "Bob's friend", makes no sense at all unfortunately. What are you trying to say?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

7. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

so what would be the correct formation for the second sentence, and what about the first one(It was trying to explain that we can't use to after suggest)?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I can't tell you the correct construction for the second sentence because I don't know what you are trying to say. Try to explain it in different words and we will see what we can do.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

But I read this expression in the grammer book" My friend suggested that I bought a car", so what does it mean. And there is one more formation, is this correct " Bob's friend suggested that he asks for the meal, when he goes there, so he went there and asked for the meal"
    "My friend suggested that I buy a car" or "...that I should buy a car." Both are correct.
    As for the second sentence, does this work for you? "Bob's friend suggested that he ask for the meal when he goes there, so he went there and asked for the meal"?

10. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

In the second sentence I want to say that "Bob's friend suggested him that he should ask for the meal when he goes(Don't know whether I should use "goes" or "went") to the house of one of his friends, so bob asked for the meal after reaching his friend's home(as per his other friend's request). I have a question don't we have to use past form of "go" after "when" because we are talking about an incident that happened in the past, and why did "Riquecohen" used ask instead of asks. And one more thing as I said I read one formation from the grammer book " My friend suggested that I bought a car", so can it mean, my friend suggested me buying a car, so I bought a car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast