Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

Please check these sentences.

1) "Take this bag off your back" or "off of your back".

2) "Take your leg off the paper" or "off of the paper"

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

As has already been said in the other thread, "off of" is a no-no to (most) BrE speakers.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ok, so we can't use "off of", we just have to say " Take you bag off your bag" or " Take your leg off the paper".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Off of" is non-standard in AusE.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In your title and in post #4, you said "Take you bag ...". Check your spelling before you post. It's clear that you know it should be "Take your bag ...". I really can't imagine any situation in which I would need to say "Take your leg off the paper" - what scenario were you imagining?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In your title and in post #4, you said "Take you bag ...". Check your spelling before you post. It's clear that you know it should be "Take your bag ...". I really can't imagine any situation in which I would need to say "Take your leg off the paper" - what scenario were you imagining?

If somebody puts a leg of his on a paper that is needed by some other person for some work(Just a homely situation), then what would he say, I think he would say the same think, "Take your leg off the paper".

Ok and if somebody is standing on something that we want then what would we say? "Step off this thing"?

I have one more, if we want some space and somebody is standing very near to us like in the gym or bus, what would we say? "Get aside", is this right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean that they have put their feet up on the table and their foot/leg is lying on a piece of paper that someone else needs? If so, then "Please get your foot off that piece of paper" is what I would say. I'm sure some people would have said "Get your feet off the table" long before that!

If they were standing on the paper, I'd say "Can you get off that XXX please?"

Please start a new thread for your unrelated question about asking people to move out of your space.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If somebody puts his foot on a paper that is needed by some other person for some work(Just a homely situation), then what would he say, I think he would say the same thing, "Please take your foot off the paper".

Ok and if somebody is standing on something that we want then what would we say? "Please move your foot"?

I have one more, if we want some space and somebody is standing very near to us like in the gym or bus, what would we say? "Please give me some room", is this right?

Bhai.

Status
Not open for further replies.