[Vocabulary] Difference in these two words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telf14

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I am new to this forum so I apologise if I haven't followed normal procedure ;-)

I am wondering what the difference between the word "Deducible" and "Deductible" is?

Thanks for any help.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Both words can be found in any reputable dictionary, but I will give you a clue.

They are both adjectives. One of them stems from the word "deduce" and the other from the word "deduct". That might point you in the right direction.

telf14

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are they really adjectives? They sound more like verbs to me?

And is the answer that deducible means to be able to figure out, and deductible means able to take something away from a total?

So ....

It would be deducible from the evidence that Mr. Phillip is guilty. (deducible in context)

The pears are deductible from the final price of your fruit basket because you paid extra accidentally the last time you bought fruit from my market stand. (deductible in context)

??

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, telf.:-D

Please note that a better title would have been Difference between 'deducible' and 'deductible'.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

It would be deducible from the evidence that Mr. Phillip is guilty. :tick:
The pears are deductible from the final price of your fruit basket because you paid extra accidentally the last time you bought fruit from my market stand.:tick:

EDIT: Roman's answer below is better than mine.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I deducible, you deducible, he deducibles. Are you sure? I don't think they're verbs.

You can't deduct the pears themselves from the final price of anything. The cost of the pears can be deducted/is deductible...

You're on the right lines with your answers, though.

telf14

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
thanks for the help guys

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks for the help, guys.

Please use correct capitalisation and punctuation in every post rather than put somebody to the trouble of correcting them.

Students and learners of other nationalities expect native English speakers to be able to write their own language properly.

In fact, whilst your appreciation is welcome, there is no need to write a new post to say Thank you. Simply click the Thank button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.

It saves everybody's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.