Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 4,589
    #1

    Got made

    Hi guys,

    We say " I got something made" but can we say " The painting that I got made" instead of " I got the painting made". What is the difference between " I got painting made" and " The painting that I got made".

  2. Roman55's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,310
    #2

    Re: Got made

    I am not a teacher.

    "The painting that I got made" is not a complete sentence, but there is nothing wrong with the "got made" part of it. The subject here is the painting.

    In, "I got the painting made" "I" is the subject and "the painting" is the object, and it is a sentence.

  3. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #3

    Re: Got made

    Quote Originally Posted by Roman55 View Post
    I am not a teacher.

    "The painting that I got made" is not a complete sentence, but there is nothing wrong with the "got made" part of it. The subject here is the painting.

    In, "I got the painting made" "I" is the subject and "the painting" is the object, and it is a sentence.
    I'm afraid that I don't know anybody who would say "I got the painting made." "I had the painting made" is the way to express that we got someone to make/create the painting.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: Got made

    I wouldn't use "made" for a painting. I would say "I had this picture painted". (Husband of an artist)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,502
    #5

    Re: Got made

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    We say " I got something made" but can we say " The painting that I got made" instead of " I got the painting made". What is the difference between " I got painting made" and " The painting that I got made".
    I thought you knew better than to leave a space after opening quotation marks.

    Please use the Edit Post feature to remove them.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: Got made

    It reminds me of Bosun.

  6. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 4,589
    #7

    Re: Got made

    So, "I had the painting made" and "The painting I got made" both sentences have same meaning.

  7. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,831
    #8

    Re: Got made

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I don't know anybody who would say "I got the painting made."
    People would say "get my hair cut", why wouldn't they say "got the painting made"?

  8. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #9

    Re: Got made

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    So, "I had the painting made" and "The painting I got made" both sentences have same meaning.
    No. Read post #2 again.
    The first sentence describes an action in the past. The non-sentence mentions an item and an attribute, but no action. They can't possibly mean the same thing.

  9. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #10

    Re: Got made

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    People would say "get my hair cut", why wouldn't they say "got the painting made"?
    They're not analogous.
    You can say, "I got my hair cut; I got my painting framed." The other is a different concept.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] He made me a dress. He made me a doctor.
    By wotcha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2012, 08:38
  2. Does "made him snap" mean "made him mad"?
    By NewHopeR in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2012, 11:58
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2009, 17:10
  4. question about made of and made from
    By lyfen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-May-2009, 15:17
  5. "made of" "and made from" + reported speech
    By herouini65@yahoo.fr in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-May-2007, 11:06

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •