"This is my Chinese/China phone number, please keep somewhere safe."

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

I will be traveling to China for company business trip and our company has given us assigned cell phones. And I say to my wife:

"This is my Chinese/China phone number, please keep it somewhere safe."

Are both okay here?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will be traveling to China for company business trip and our company has given us assigned cell phones. And I say to my wife:

"This is my Chinese/China phone number, please keep it somewhere safe."

Are both okay here?
Chinese is the correct choice but you are saying that you have a telephone which is based in China. It would be like me saying that this is my New York number - I live in California and one would assume, upon hearing this, that I also have a telephone number in New York. It would be simpler for you to say "This is the number for the phone I will be using while I am in China."

B

B45

Chinese is the correct choice but you are saying that you have a telephone which is based in China. It would be like me saying that this is my New York number - I live in California and one would assume, upon hearing this, that I also have a telephone number in New York. It would be simpler for you to say "This is the number for the phone I will be using while I am in China."

Why is it Chinese phone number, when we would say: This is my US number, and not this is my American number, or This is my UK number, and not this is English number...

Do you know where I'm coming from?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Why is it Chinese phone number, when we would say: This is my US number, and not this is my American number, or This is my UK number, and not this is English number...
Some places don't lend themselves well to making adjectives - US, UK and New York are three of them.
I would say, "Here is my Australian number and my New Zealand number". Yes, it's inconsistent, but I'd say it. And I'd use 'Chinese'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about This is my number in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.