Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
which sentence is correct?
a new method is proposed that varies the manner in which the filter is calculated
depending on the initial images.

a new method is proposed that varies the manner which the filter is calculated

a new method is proposed that varies the manner the filter is calculated

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Which do you think is correct?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Slightly off-topic, but current:
"A new method is proposed that varies the manner in which the filter is calculated depending on the initial images."
For those who were following the thread about interposing the verb between a noun and its relative pronoun and clause, here's another example. The alternative would be "A new method that varies the manner in which the filter is calculated depending on the initial images is proposed."

(To make it on topic, I've answered the question. Sorry Tdol)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean the verb should not be put between the noun and its relative pronoun even if the relative clause is very long?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, I mean the opposite.
Do you mean the verb can be put between the noun and its relative pronoun if the relative clause is very long?

In Post#15 there, MikeNewYork said "It might actually be better" which referred to a sentence where the verb was put after a long relative clause, so I inferred that it is better to put the verb after the clause even if it is very long.

Not a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do you mean the verb can be put between the noun and its relative pronoun if the relative clause is very long?
Yes, I find that an acceptable practice, and that's what I said in that thread. In this thread, I merely pointed out another example.

In Post#15 there, MikeNewYork said "It might actually be better" which referred to a sentence where the verb was put after a long relative clause, so I inferred that it is better to put the verb after the clause even if it is very long.
Ah, well if you only read Mike's posts, you'll only get his opinions. I summed up my opinion in my post #19, which admittedly is a bit longer, but my defence for that is that I tried to say more.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
None of the sentences in post #1 are correct. None of them have any capitalisation or punctuation.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Not only did I read Mike's posts, but all posts in that thread, including your post #19. I have just asked a follow-up question there (lest this thread be hijacked) .
Thanks, I was aware of that. But the correct answer has been given here in post #8, and an acceptable correct sentence given in my post #2, so I doubt there's a lot left to say here.

Status
Not open for further replies.