Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all users!

I know that there are phrases like "to kick one's way out of something" or "to dig one's way out of something".

For instance, ‘Dead’ man who kicked his way out of body bag dies. or Friends of crash survivor Laurence Wilson have told how he dug his way out of the debris with his bare hands to escape the wreckage of flight NM7100.

What about phrases that only exist in my imagination?

Is it possible to say that "I have vegged my way out of cancer" meaning I have conquerred cancer by eating vegetables.

Is it also possible to say that "I have meated my way into cancer" meaning I have contracted / developed cancer by eating (too much) meat.

I don't think such phrases exist.

If it is the case, please provide me with a few examples of phrases "verb + one's way out of noun" to express my thoughts, namely, " to conquer cancer by eating vegetables" and "to contract / develop cancer by eating (too much) meat".

Thank you.

P.S.

Knitting your way out of a life crisis:…

One writer explains how knitting helped her fight cancer and examines other places people seek solace

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even though I'm vegetarian and even though I would love to think that people could beat cancer by simply eating vegetables, that isn't the case so I don't know why we would come up with a phrase for it.

We can already say that eating a lot of red meat raises one's chances of getting cancer and that having a more healthy, plant-based diet once you have cancer can aid your recovery.

I see no need to come up with rather simplistic trite phrases for something so complicated and serious. People "fight their way through cancer" (or they don't and they die).

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello all users!

I know that there are phrases like "to kick one's way out of something" (Really? please provide some examples) or "to dig one's way out of something".

For instance, ‘Dead’ man who kicked his way out of body bag dies. (This is not a phrase, this is a report on how the man got out of the bag) or Friends of crash survivor Laurence Wilson have told how he dug his way out of the debris with his bare hands to escape the wreckage of flight NM7100.

What about phrases that only exist in my imagination?

Is it possible to say that "I have vegged my way out of cancer" meaning I have [STRIKE]conquerred [/STRIKE] conquered cancer by eating vegetables. Maybe, but you would have to explain what it meant,

Is it also possible to say that "I have meated my way into cancer" meaning I have contracted / developed cancer by eating (too much) meat. No.

I don't think such phrases exist.

If it is the case, please provide me with a few examples of phrases "verb + one's way out of noun" to express my thoughts, namely, " to conquer cancer by eating vegetables" and "to contract / develop cancer by eating (too much) meat". I believe that you are already found it - I conquered cancer by eating vegetables. I got cancer by eating too much red meat (though I doubt if this can be proven).
Thank you.
Gil

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I know that you know what the sentences used in Simple Past mean, but I would like you to help me find synonyms for tchem using "to ...... one's way out ......"

How about I ate my way out of cancer or I ate my way into cancer.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How about I starve my way out of cancer or I feed my way into cancer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just for once I am going to disagree (partly) with bhaisahab. I don't have much of a problem with "I ate my way into/out of ...". However, given that there is (as yet) no absolute clear evidence that eating certain foods causes​ cancer, I wouldn't use that disease. I would be happier with something like "I ate my way into obesity" or similar.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I know what you are getting at, emsr2d2. There is also "Can we reformulate foods to eat our way out of obesity?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know what you are getting at, emsr2d2. There is also "Can we reformulate foods to eat our way out of obesity?"

Where did you find that sentence? Why did you say "There is also ..." as if you read that somewhere else?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jacek, all of these attempts to bend "out of" and "into" are very forced. I don't think any of them are useful.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I cannot find it on my laptop.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"Can we reformulate foods to eat our way out of obesity?"

Following a vegan diet will almost certainly reduce weight, but this sentence is OTT for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.