• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

carrot ) once given can be turned into ( stick)

Does this question and answer make sense? Can "carrot" represent "ideal" and "stick" "punishment"? What does "age's limit" mean?

"In a word, adult's realism is inconsistent because (carrot ) once given can be turned into ( stick) by age's limit"

Q 5-14 Which best belongs in the blanks?

We raise our children with ethical time bombs. We allow our children their ideals until they are perhaps 13 or 15 or 18 or even 22. Even, we adults encourage them to inflate it fully by giving rewards. But if they don't let go of their ideals after that age, we worry about whether they will be able to function in the real world and resent it when our children challenge us for not living up to the ideals and then protest against strict order imposed to make give up their own ideals. What is worse, we adults may be changed into disciplinary parents who whip sense into our children under the harsh punishment. Namely, children's idealism looks like an elastic cord which can be pulled and pushed by adult's convenience. This is the so-called realism of adults. After all, to their point of view, the real world is a different place. We have to be tough and even a little cynical. Adults know that helping others is neat, but it may take away their motivation to find a job. Adults know that peace is good, but we can't ever trust our enemies to stop preparing for war.

=> summary
    Adults allow children to entertain their idealism to the full within a specific age, but if it lasts beyond the expected age, they force children to abandon
    it. In a word, adult's realism is inconsistent because ( ① ) once given can be turned into ( ② ) by age's limit.

c arrot , ② s tick

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: carrot ) once given can be turned into ( stick)

You have to place the words "carrot" and "stick" into those spots? This is borderline incomprehensible.

A carrot is a reward, not an ideal. Yes, a stick is a punishment.

The writing doesn't feel native to me.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.