Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
On the hill where he pulled me from the dust, the angel said, "You will see many strange things. Do not be afraid. You have a holy mission and I will protect you."

Smug bastard. Had I known what he would do to me I would have hit him again. Even now he lies on the bed across the room, watching pictures move on a screen, eating the sticky sweet called Snickers, while I scratch out my tale on this soft-as-silk paper that reads Hyatt Regency, St. Louis at the top. Words, words, words, a million million words circle in my head like hawks, waiting to dive onto the page to rend and tear the only two words I want to write.

Why me?

<source : http://www.chrismoore.com/books/lamb/excerpt/ >
=====================================

A little bit of background information for the above text.
- The speaker was reincarnated 2000 years after his death by the angel.
- The angel made the speaker write down his own tale.

The meaning of 'scratch out' is 'to scrape (the surface of something), as with claws, nails', etc, right?
But what does it mean in the above context? Does the speaker implies that writing his tale is so difficult that it is as slow as carving with nails on some hard surface like stone, even though in reality it is on the soft-as-silk paper?
Am I right?

Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It means to write, probably with a quill pen.

misschip

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks bhaisahab!

I see what you mean.
So it is not as complicated as I first thought!

By the way, when the speaker says 'soft-as-silk', is it just plain simple description of the paper by the speaker?
I have a feeling that the speaker implies that the angel had said something like .. "the paper is soft as silk.. blah blah.."
and he tries to mock the angel. Am I wrong again?

Thanks.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks bhaisahab!

I see what you mean.
So it is not as complicated as I first thought!

By the way, when the speaker says 'soft-as-silk', is it just plain simple description of the paper by the speaker?
I have a feeling that the speaker implies that the angel had said something like .. "the paper is soft as silk.. blah blah.."
and he tries to mock the angel. Am I wrong again?

Thanks.
I assume that the Hyatt Regency provides a fine grade of writing paper. Seeing that he was watching television and eating a Sinckers candy bar (Which puts the scene in the modern era) I also assume that he was writing with a ballpoint pen as this is the type usually provided by such hotels to their customers.

misschip

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Many thanks to you, Gillnetter!

For you and bhaisahab's description of the situation, I got to understand the text without any false assumption of my own.
I'm a little surprised that it is so simple. :)

Thanks again and have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.