I was there with my family and we were with a tour and this was back in the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

My son writes in a report:

I was there with my family and we were with a tour and this was back in the 90's.

VS

I was there with my family on a tour and this was back in the 90's.

Are both okay? What would a native say?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first is very long-winded and it has too many "and"s. It would be perfectly reasonable to hear a native speaker say it because we generally don't think ahead when we talk. We start a sentence and then we just keep adding to it!

In writing though, I would use "I went there on a tour with my family back in the 90s".

B

B45

The first is very long-winded and it has too many "and"s. It would be perfectly reasonable to hear a native speaker say it because we generally don't think ahead when we talk. We start a sentence and then we just keep adding to it!

In writing though, I would use "I went there on a tour with my family back in the 90s".

So - I was there with my family on a tour - is wrong.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

There's nothing wrong with your sentence. The question is would native speakers say it? ;-)

B

B45

Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

There's nothing wrong with your sentence. The question is would native speakers say it? ;-)

I was there with my family on a tour is the exact opposite of emsr2d2 suggested, so I just want to be sure.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
W​hy do you think my version is the exact opposite of yours? Are you solely referring to the word order of "on a tour" and "with my family"?

Last edited:
B

B45

W​hey do you think my version is the exact opposite of yours? Are you solely referring to the word order of "on a tour" and "with my family"?

Yes, the word order is opposite from your suggestions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Your word order is not wrong, but it sounds better to me the way emsr2d2 said it.

Status
Not open for further replies.