1. B45

I'll either be back in Russia or somewhere in the US in the first week of May.

Can you say:

I'll either be back in Russia or somewhere in the US in the first week of May.

VS

I'll be back either in Russia or somewhere in the US in the first week of May.

Are both useable?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: I'll either be back in Russia or somewhere in the US in the first week of May.

The second means you'll either be back in Russia or back in the US. It's odd.
    The sentence you use depends on where you were before you went away. That is generally the place you'll be back to. If you're at any other place, you're not back there - you've moved on.
    You could also consider changing the beginning to "I'll be either back in Russia or somewhere in the US"

3. B45

Re: I'll either be back in Russia or somewhere in the US in the first week of May.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The second means you'll either be back in Russia or back in the US. It's odd.
    The sentence you use depends on where you were before you went away. That is generally the place you'll be back to. If you're at any other place, you're not back there - you've moved on.
    You could also consider changing the beginning to "I'll be either back in Russia or somewhere in the US"
    What about the first sentence? What does it mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

The first sentence is correct if you have left from Russia. You'll be either back in Russia, or you'll be in the US. You can't be back in the US.
    What do you take "I'll be back in Russia" to mean?"
    You need to be careful where you put "either".