Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think the difference between 1 and 2 is that in 1, a horse draws wagons while in 2, wagons draw a horse, and rule 2 can be applied to "time-consuming job" as well. Are these two forms universal for any same forms?

1.horse-drawn wagons
2.horse-drawing wagons
At that time, children were being transported to school in all sorts of vehicles, including trucks and horse-drawn wagons. Cyr's conference attracted transpo

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have never heard of "horse-drawing wagons". There were a couple of hits on Google with that phrase, but they were from the late 19th/early twentieth century.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If it's used, doesn't it mean this? I know it doesn't make sense, but I'd like to know the general rule.
---wagons draw a horse

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When it was used, it did not mean that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"A time-consuming job" is a job which consumes a lot of time. Using the same logic, "A horse-drawing carriage" would be a "carriage which draws (pulls) a horse". That makes no sense at all.

If you insisted on using the same construction as the "job" example, it would be a "carriage-drawing horse". However, that term is not used and it never has been. You can't transfer a construction used in one set phrase to another random set of words.

Status
Not open for further replies.