Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. B45

A. I'm still a long ways from that but it's where I want my family to be and where m

Talking to friend about living in Californa. I say -

(California)That is where I want to retire after the kids are all grown up and gone to college.

I'm still a long ways from that but it's where I want my family to be and where my kids grow up and go to school before I retire.

When I'm saying I'm still a long ways from that - that replaces retire - and it's - replaces California.

Is the underlined sentence grammatically correct and useable in American English?

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: A. I'm still a long ways from that but it's where I want my family to be and wher

The underlined still makes no sense. The sentence before the underlined one is OK.

3. B45

Re: A. I'm still a long ways from that but it's where I want my family to be and wher

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The underlined still makes no sense. The sentence before the underlined one is OK.
    What do you mean it makes no sense? The underlined sentence is a continuation of the 1st sentence.

I'm still a long ways from it but that's where I want my family to be and where my kids to grow up and go to school before I retire.

it = retirement, that = California.

What about now?
    Last edited by B45; 29-Apr-2014 at 03:22.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The point that doesn't make sense is the idea that your kids will grow up after you retire. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Perhaps what is confusing you is an older, now archaic, usage of "retire" in BrE.

If you were a wealthy person of any age in the Victorian era, you might have chosen to "retire to" Bath or Spa to take the waters. That sort of retirement was just like what we now call a vacation, not the permanent old age retirement that the word now indicates.

Similarly, if you were a lady waiting for a train in India during the Raj, you might have chosen to stay in the "ladies retiring room." I am delighted to inform you that if you are a lady you can still do so today at many stations, but the accommodations are far from luxurious.
    Last edited by probus; 29-Apr-2014 at 05:07.

6. B45

The point that doesn't make sense is the idea that your kids will grow up after you retire. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely.
    I've changed it to:

(California)That is where I want to retire after the kids are all grown up and gone to college.

I'm still a long ways from it but that's where I want to eventually live out the rest of my life.

it = retirement, that = California.

Is the underlined sentence grammatical and makes sense now?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Yes. It is good and logical now.

8. B45

What if change it around like this:

I'm still a long ways from that but it's where I want to eventually live out the rest of my life.

Is this underlined sentence still okay?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Yes.

10. B45

Yes.
    Really? It and that are interchangeable in such a way that I can use either in most situations?

I had no idea!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast