1. B45

A damn shame she had to destroy a/the family that you guys worked so hard to create!

My friend's talking about my ex wife:

A damn shame she had to destroy a/the family that you guys worked so hard to create!

Are both okay to use here?
    Last edited by B45; 30-Apr-2014 at 07:25.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: A damn shame she had to destroy a/the family that you guys worked so hard to crea

"The" would be more common unless the two of your worked hard to create more than one family. Also, 'the' is apropriate because the family is defined (one would assume). But you could use 'a'. That makes it less specific, maybe distances it a bit.

3. B45

Re: A damn shame she had to destroy a/the family that you guys worked so hard to crea

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "The" would be more common unless the two of your worked hard to create more than one family. Also, 'the' is apropriate because the family is defined (one would assume). But you could use 'a'. That makes it less specific, maybe distances it a bit.
    What do you mean by less specific and distancing the subject? I've asked a few friends and they all said the is correct, because we're talking about one specific family, but I checked the dictionary and 'a' can be used as a particular case as well. So, I don't know.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Batman45 View Post
    What do you mean by less specific and distancing the subject? I've asked a few friends and they all said the is correct, because we're talking about one specific family, but I checked the dictionary and 'a' can be used as a particular case as well. So, I don't know.
    Less specific = not as defined -> possibility of using 'a'. 'Distanced' = psychological distance; same effect.
    Well, it seems that both I and your friends and a dictionary have all said the same thing - 'the' is the most common, but you can use 'a'.