Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Which one is correct...

I think, she is a good girl and she WILL help you when you need help

I think, she is a good girl and she IS GOING TO help you when you need help.

Assuming that the speaker has positive previous experiences / impression about the girl, the speaker is making a prediction basing on proofs / information. From this perspecive, it seems "going to future" is the right option.

However, if the speaker is making this statement basing on his personal, subjective point of view / ideas, "simple future" seems as the better option. Because, this makes the prediction one, which doesn't base on proofs / information.

What is your idea ????

Thanks

HugoJ

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
If the speaker is making a prediction based on current events you should use ' going to ', otherwise if the speaker is basing his judgement on what he believes to be true about the future, you should use ' will '.
Is the comma really necessary by the way?

I'm not a teacher.

murat guler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
If the speaker is making a prediction based on current events you should use ' going to ', otherwise if the speaker is basing his judgement on what he believes to be true about the future, you should use ' will '.
Is the comma really necessary by the way?

I'm not a teacher.

Can only the current events / information be referance to "going to future" predictions? In the example, can the mentioned girl's PREVIOUS good behaviours (which make speaker believe that she is a good girl) be referance and force the statement to be as "going to future"?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, the comma is incorrect.

Second, the information you have about her past behavior is part of the current information that you have, is it not?

Third, I am of the opinion that most native speakers use the two forms of talking about the future interchangeably in most situations. I would probably use "will" here, but would not say someone saying "going to" is incorrect.

If past is prologue, 5jj will now come on and link you to one of his excellent articles about expressing the future in English.

murat guler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Any other idea?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In the given context I would use "will". That's not to say that "going to" is wrong, but "will" seems more natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.